D810 with MB-D12

Ruidoso Bill

OK, question to anyone with this setup, if I have both batteries, one in camera, one in grip, does the camera run off one, the other, both what order, I am confused by the order of things. I know I can designate which one it starts with but does the body auto switch to the second or must I change it in the menu. I have had the grips for a long time but stopped using them since I am tripod mounted most of the time so just asking. I have an upcoming video dance event and in total it is 2 1/2 hours so doing some power management is in order.

Last edited:

Bill16

Re: D810 with MB=D12

It will run off the battery you choose then automatically switch to the other when the first battery is run down buddy.:)

Bill16

PS. If you buy the battery and charger and the drawer made for it, you can even use D4 batteries in the OEM grip! That will give you a lot longer run time, if you want and can afford to put the money into it.:D

Ruidoso Bill

PS. If you buy the battery and charger and the drawer made for it, you can even use D4 batteries in the OEM grip! That will give you a lot longer run time, if you want and can afford to put the money into it.:D
How much longer run time compared normal batteries.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bill16

I believe it is more than double the run time, though I never tested it for that. But it does work well for me. [MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION] would be able to give you a better idea of the true run time, since he uses the D4 batteries too.:)

Scott Murray

I would get around 5 - 6 hrs running non-stop when doing star timelapse with EN EL-18 and a EN EL15 combined, I use my EL-18 first always as it offers better FPS.

Hope this helps

Ruidoso Bill

I would get around 5 - 6 hrs running non-stop when doing star timelapse with EN EL-18 and a EN EL15 combined, I use my EL-18 first always as it offers better FPS.

Hope this helps

Can't get one here in time for tonights shoot, what I have discovered is that one, the D810 defaults to the MB-D12 first when connected. In the record mode (video Shooting) when I pull the battery from the MB-D12 grip it switches over to the one in the camera, so I can then switch out the grip battery and put it back in. I don't know why I thought there was a menu selection for which one to start with, the only battery menu item I see is the battery info item and it doesn't seem to give me a choice, must have been one of my other bodies that had that cause I do remember it somewhere. Old dogs, new tricks sheesh what a pain. I am ordering the other D4 battery and charger, Hate to add more chargers.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

2.5 hr performance with a 30min continuous shooting limit ....will the camera get too hot ?/

Made it again on the shoot. New Nikon EN-EL15's in the body and MB-D12, was at about 50% remaining at the intermission (80 minutes), pulled the grip battery and replaced it with another new nikon battery and got to the end with 50% left on the grip battery (another 90 minutes). The body battery still had +/- 100 % so no battery issues this time. I have not ever had an overheating issue with either the D800 or the D810 yet, just the battery struggle. I shot the entire event with the 70-200 and it worked fine for the setting.

Scott Murray

Just got back from camping and only used the batteries in my camera, never changed them. It lasted all weekend shooting timelapse and long exposures.
Glad yours got you through mate.