View NX 2 re-sizes JEPGs way down.

amonamarth

I have a Nikon D7000. I'm using the software bundle that came with it for basic edits (contrast, saturation, cropping, etc) View NX
I found that it sizes pictures way down after simple edits. For example, open > adjust contrast > save. My original JPEG was about 6 MB, the edited one ends up being 1-2 MB.
This can't be right.
I know there are other software packages I can use, questions are regarding View NX 2 :cool:
- is there a way to disable such behavior?
- am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks.

amonamarth

Well this is weird then ... Even one simple contrast change, then save, drastically reduces the size of the JPEG. I can't see anything in options that would control this. I was starting to think it was a bug. Are you sure it's not happening to you? Please do a test for me. Note original size of JPEG, Open > contrast change > save. Check size of file again. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick M

Ok, that's wierd! I never noticed since I do all my PP in lightroom and only shot raw. It actually made a raw file larger!

LensWork

I do not use View NX2 for edits, but I tried it just to see what you are talking about, and yes, it reduced a JPG from 4.54MB to 930KB ????? No cropping, just a contrast adjustment. I cannot see any way to adjust the compression to negate this.

Last edited by a moderator:

amonamarth

Oh good, it's not just me then ;-)
Yes, file size is reduced drastically with any edit. This pretty much makes this software package unusable. I will test with RAW file also and see ...

Horoscope Fish

I'm not sitting behind my home PC at the moment but I'm pretty sure if you open an image in ViewNX 2, and look to the top right, isn't there a "Convert Files" option showing? If you click on that button I'm pretty sure you'll get a slider-bar that allows you to adjust for output quality of your .JPG files as well other options.

I am going by memory here (and I'm not a huge fan of ViewNX to begin with) so... I could be totally wrong on this.

Last edited:

Rexer John

LOL, here.

convert.jpg