Right lens or not

Stueybee

Is the Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD any good for motorcycle racing pictures. On a d3300.
And will autofocus work

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Is the Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD any good for motorcycle racing pictures. On a d3300.
And will autofocus work
Yes the lens will auto-focus on your D3300 (the PZD designation indicates it has an AF-motor).

This lens has been around a long time in various releases and Tamron has done a good job with the latest version. The lens is quite good overall for a super-zoom, probably one of the best you can ask for in DX flavor as of right now. You WILL have to put up with a good dose of chromatic aberration pretty much all the time as well as a good bit of distortion, both pin-cushion and barrel. These things are all easily corrected in post processing, relatively speaking, assuming you have the software to do it; e.g. Lightroom or Photoshop. If you don't have either of those applications I'm not sure what to tell you.

Daz

Welcome to the forum, a lot of your question needs some more answers from you. What sort of motorcycle racing are you looking to shoot? I shoot a lot of Grasstrack and am able to get inside of the track and I find a 300mm is fine however when I am at the outside of the track I am not filling the frame and normally needing a crop.

If you are looking at doing shoots at tracks which you are in the stands I don't think a 300mm will be long enough even on a crop sensor, I went to Catalunya and shot the F1 testing and I hired a 50-500mm Sigma and shot it on a D3300 and it was perfect reach to get all the shots I wanted.

The biggest factor is what is your budget?