Battery Life on D5500

ashleynicole87

I've yet to come even remotely close to running my battery down and I've taken several family portraits for family and friends, but this October I've been asked to photograph my sisters best friends wedding and they have the winery booked for 5 hours NOT including prep and all of that jazz. My question for you is how many additional batteries should I be purchasing? I only have the battery that came with the camera. I will be purchasing at least one more.

Also, I have been considering a 300mm lens as to get intimate moments without them feeling like someone is in their business. I have a 200, will that do the job well enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryan20fun

What about one of the 70-200 lenses?
I see several wedding photographers use that and another who uses the shorter primes(35mm, 50mm).
I would recommend bringing several different lenses with, Just to make sure that you will be able to get the shot.

I would think that something shorter then 70mm would be good to have as well.

Is there going to be another photographer?

There are one or two people around here who I think do weddings, They could probably help you out a lot.

HTH

ashleynicole87

I should have been more specific. I have 70-200. I also have other lenses I plan on bringing. I have a second camera and plan on bringing my other half as a second photographer as she has been helping me more and more. Before me her plan was to have her mother take pictures with a point and shoot. She knows that I've never done a wedding and doesn't really have a lot of expectations, but I do. And thus I'm doing my best to get as much as I can done planning wise. She's really not even interested in meeting up prior to plan particular "must have shots" but I'm really urging her to do so.

MaxBlake

Batteries are relatively inexpensive. Why not bring at least two back-up batteries, just to be safe? The chances are good that you won't need either one, but why take the chance on such an important day and shoot?

An 18-140 mm lens would be a good choice if you have one. An 18-300 mm lens would be even better. But I would not recommend buying one for this occasion unless you can see the need for it well down the road. I would at least take more than one lens with you for the day. You'll get a feel for the action soon enough, which will allow you to have a choice.

Good luck. Have some fun.

Elliot87

Personally I can't see how an 18-300mm lens or even 18-140mm are going to offer anywhere near the IQ of a 70-200mm. Also as the OP Ashley is bringing a second body, depending what it is that might negate the need for lens switching. I'd have thought a good wide angle lens for group shots would be a must to go with the 70-200mm.
Just my opinion which is backed up by zero experience of shooting weddings, just a lot of googling and reading.

ashleynicole87

Thank you. I really want to give her some memories she can cherish. The bride isn't concerned with pictures at all, but I want her to have them for down the road. I'm glad I don't have the pressure of a particular bride for my first wedding at least! Thanks for the input guys. It is always appreciated.