Computer only reading some photos when I try to upload

sarahknj

Hi All -

I have a Nikon D5500 and I took pictures on a trip using a SanDisk 64gb card. When I reached 999 photos, the camera automatically created a new folder for the next batch of pictures. When the card is in the camera, I can see two folders (100 and 101) and these have all my photos. I can view and photos and send wireless to my phone.

When I put the card into a card reader to upload the pictures to my Macbook Pro, only the 100 folder populates/uploads (when I look through my Macbook the 101 folder displays as empty). When I pop the card back into the camera, it still has all my photos and works fine. I shot in JPG and RAW (I'm learning how to use Lightroom so wanted the raw files to play with but also wanted JPGs I could post/send immediately - yes I know this isn't memory friendly!).

So - how do I get those photos in the "101" folder onto my computer? (I don't have a cord to hook the camera directly to the laptop - I have one on order so hoping that works but the fact that I can SEE the folder on the computer and it's showing as empty makes me very nervous). Worst case scenario I can download pics wirelessly to my phone and then use those but obviously that defeats the point of shooting in RAW and dilutes quality. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!
Sarah

paul04

Welcome to the website.

Is your PC reading the JPEG files or the raw files? (you said you save in JPEG and raw)
And which version of lightroom do you have, as it might need updating.

sarahknj

Hi - thanks for the quick reply. I don't have a PC - I have a Macbook Pro. For the files it can read, it can read both JPG and RAW so I downloaded both. (I've tried downloading directly from the desktop icon, as well as importing into Lightroom and the Mac Photo program - all of these work for the "100" folder and not for the "101" folder, as described. I use Lightroom 6. I checked and it does not appear to need an update. So I don't think that's the issue, especially as it was able to download the first folder.

paul04

I had a issue when I got to 9999 pictures taken on the camera, and just like you I had 2 folders (although my PC could read both)
The new folder started at 0001.
http://nikonites.com/d7100/35388-d7100-reset-sd-card.html?highlight=files+at+9999#axzz482W3wTCt

Now I am just wondering if lightroom is looking at the new folder numbers and thinks it is a duplicate file and will not import it.

On import, In the File Handling panel on the right side of the import window, see if the "Don’t Import Suspected Duplicates" is ticked

sarahknj

I tried that - nothing. When I select the "101" folder in Lightroom, it says there are no files in it (same as when I try it from the Desktop). So on the camera, the folder has pictures, on the computer it doesn't and those files don't exist.

Hoping having a cord to connect the camera directly to the computer helps, otherwise it seems like my only option to retrieve these photos is to wireless transfer to my phone which obviously means no raw files/kills the quality. So frustrating.

Any advice on how to prevent this in the future?

Thank you!!

Needa

Challenge Team
Couple of thoughts, either the computer can't recognize the file structure or the file type in the folder. As you mentioned it recognized both raw and jpg in the 100 folder, seem that eliminates the file type issue.

This is what I would do.

Get a new card for the camera, be sure to format it in camera before use. Transfer what you can wirelessly. Then try to transfer the files from the original card with a Lunix or Microsoft based computer. This will eliminate two factors the card slot and the operating system. You could also try some file recover software if so inclined. The cable idea is also a good one.

As for future prevention, I would suggest that you get multiple cards for the future. Transfer your pictures after each session to your computer and then format in camera before using again.

Bob Blaylock

@sarahknj — Have you tried looking at the card under MacOS' Finder, rather than in in any other software? That seems like a vital first step in understanding the problem, to see whether there's an issue with your computer/OS itself reading the card, or just with the particular software that you're running thereunder.

sarahknj

@sarahknj — Have you tried looking at the card under MacOS' Finder, rather than in in any other software? That seems like a vital first step in understanding the problem, to see whether there's an issue with your computer/OS itself reading the card, or just with the particular software that you're running thereunder.

Hi Bob - yes, I have - that's what I meant when I said I tried looking at the files from my desktop - apologies if that was unclear. They do not appears in the finder view (or any other view from the Macbook).

sarahknj

Couple of thoughts, either the computer can't recognize the file structure or the file type in the folder. As you mentioned it recognized both raw and jpg in the 100 folder, seem that eliminates the file type issue.

This is what I would do.

Get a new card for the camera, be sure to format it in camera before use. Transfer what you can wirelessly. Then try to transfer the files from the original card with a Lunix or Microsoft based computer. This will eliminate two factors the card slot and the operating system. You could also try some file recover software if so inclined. The cable idea is also a good one.

As for future prevention, I would suggest that you get multiple cards for the future. Transfer your pictures after each session to your computer and then format in camera before using again.

Thank you Needa! I have a friend who is going to let me try the card on his PC laptop this week - fingers crossed. I've downloaded the pics I need to my phone so I have them and am hoping the cord solves the problem (although i doubt it).

I usually do upload the card each day when I'm done but I was on a three week trip in SE Asia and didn't have a laptop. I guess next time I should use smaller cards instead of the one big one? Lesson learned.

Needa

Challenge Team
I usually do upload the card each day when I'm done but I was on a three week trip in SE Asia and didn't have a laptop. I guess next time I should use smaller cards instead of the one big one? Lesson learned.

Remember to format the cards in camera before use or reuse. This help keep the file structure intact. Good luck and hoping to see some of those pictures posted.

aroy

You can also connect the camera with the supplied cable and see if the computer will see the files. I use only the USB cable and copy the files to a separate directory. I then rename the files. I guess Lightroom will be able to that for you, if it can read the directory.