Another camera AND a tripod :)

fotojack

Picked up another camera last week........a D40 for $150! It had only 4500 actuations on it, and it's in pristine shape. Kinda fun to use, too, compared to my D200. lol
Today I picked up a used Manfrotto 055 (same as a Bogen 3021) tripod and 3-way head. The guy that sold it to me was selling it because he said the head was fixed....not removable. LOL I know for a fact that all Manfrotto tripod heads are removeable, so I gave him the $75 he wanted for it. :) Man, this thing is heavy, but extremely stable.

View attachment 5435

Last edited:

fotojack

Nice buys
I need to start looking into a lighter tripod. This beefy aluminum is pretty heavy even for aluminum.

Heavy is good for portrait work. Heavy is good for stability. Heavy is good for a lot of things.......just not for travel or hiking. :) The more stable the tripod is, the better the shot turns out.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Amen to that. I have 4 heavy already lol. My monopod is light and my itty bitty aluminum is lighter, but I tested a manfrotto magfiber while I was idaho and it was a pleasure to use. Plus I can hang my backpack from the underhook and make it plenty stable. Funny over the last 10 years I have kept to 3 SLR's but have tested a lot of gear to try to get what I want or that suits me. I try to be practical but when you are looking for specific options in your gear and they don't make them... the search continues lol

fotojack

Sounds like you got a pretty awesome combo for a great price!

Yeah.........the right place at the right time, I guess. :) I go on a site called Kijiji (online classified ads). One guy was selling his D300 for $450 about a month ago, and I didn't have the money at the time. :( I was disappointed.

theregsy

Jack, have you bought a lottery ticket as well? with that kind of luck at finding bargains your numbers might well come out! LOL D40 is a cracking little beast, just physically to small for my paws, but $140 I'd buy it to sell on! :) Happy new toys :)

Fotojo

Hey some great buys, if you have not already figured for yourself how the head comes off just raise center post and you will need a slender screw driver. Just loosen the set screw under the base and simply turn the head off. I own the same tri-pod it is heavy, but a great work horse.

fotojack

Hey some great buys, if you have not already figured for yourself how the head comes off just raise center post and you will need a slender screw driver. Just loosen the set screw under the base and simply turn the head off. I own the same tripod. It is heavy, but a great work horse.

Oh I know how to get it off. :) In my first post, I said that the guy that sold it to me didn't know that it came off! As soon as I saw it, I knew that it came off. Soon as I got it home, I took the whole tripod apart, cleaned it up, regreased what needed grease, and put it back together. Works like new. This an awesome tripod.