Kit Lens or 50mm f/I.8G

technofreek

Hi All;
Can you suggest me a good portrait lens?
I am buying D5100 in the next couple of days; I wish to know which lense should I buy along with it. My primary usage will be for taking portrait photos.

Should I buy the Kit Lens "NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR" or buy the "AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/I.8G" ?

technofreek

Thanks for the tip Joe! I have zeroed in on buying the "50mm f/I.8G" & the "55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR" alongwith my new camera.
Do you think its a wise choice?

Rick M

Thanks for the tip Joe! I have zeroed in on buying the "50mm f/I.8G" & the "55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR" alongwith my new camera.
Do you think its a wise choice?

If I may interject-

As far as the 55-200, I would jump over that and go with the 55-300vr, 70-300 vr, or if money (and size) is no object,
the 70-200 2.8 vr (over $2k)

I got the 55-200vr for only $150 when I bought my D3100. It is a nice inexpensive lens, but it left me wanting a 300mm. I sold the 55-200 for $130 and got the 70-300vr and love it (they are about $550 new). You could also pick up a 55-300 new for about $350.

fotojack

Definitely the 50 1.8 for portraits. That's not to say that the 18-55 VR is a bad lens. Not at all. For the money, it's one of the better lenses out there.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

While I have not used the 18-55, I do have to say, IF you do not have other lenses, a zoom lens will be critical for you. Depending on what you like to shoot, having a lens that will hit 18mm or wider is key and at some times there is only so far away you can get from a subject.
On the flip side, if portraiture is your goal, that 50mm is tack sharp!!! and the DOF is crazy, I am talking I have had models eyes be in focus and the nose be out of focus...
As for telezooms, without a doubt for portraits I love my 70-200. I also have a 70-300 for sale right now... great lens. I generally use it for wildlife and such, but need to get rid of it for a new piece.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alecto

I got my D5100 back in May and my store had a promo. I could sell the 18-55 kit lens back for a $50 credit and then they had the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens with a $150 rebate. The lens is kind of expensive, but for me, this is The One Lens To Rule Them All. I mostly take nature/wildlife photos or active toddler photos, which is pretty much the same thing. I did get the 50 mm 1.8, also, because I do a bit of portrait work. I am strictly an amateur. The versatility and quality of the Tamron lens has convinced me that I don't need any other lenses. And, no, I don't work for Tamron.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

I got my D5100 back in May and my store had a promo. I could sell the 18-55 kit lens back for a $50 credit and then they had the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens with a $150 rebate. The lens is kind of expensive, but for me, this is The One Lens To Rule Them All. I mostly take nature/wildlife photos or active toddler photos, which is pretty much the same thing. I did get the 50 mm 1.8, also, because I do a bit of portrait work. I am strictly an amateur. The versatility and quality of the Tamron lens has convinced me that I don't need any other lenses. And, no, I don't work for Tamron.

No way in heck!!!

Villain

Keep in mind, the 50mm f/1.8 is a manual focus lens on the camera. For portraits I don't think this is much of an issue, unless you're like me and take kid pics and aren't checking the focus from time to time as the kid moves around.

I also have the 55 - 200 VR and wish I would have had the extra for the 55 - 300. I've found that I'd like to get a little closer to some objects when at sporting events or when I can't walk any closer and it would have made a difference.

Alecto

I had a 55-200 on my previous camera and there is a noticeable difference between 200 and 270.
Here is a link to some pictures I took right after I got the camera and really didn't know how to use it yet. All pictures were taken with The One Lens.
Up North 2011 - a set on Flickr

Ripeart

I have the 50mm/1.8 and have to say that it is a dream for portraits, indoor shooting, and other low-light situations. As others have mentioned the DOF is incredible. I took a fairly close full front shot of my son at f 1.8 with this lens. Upon viewing this photo in Lightroom I was pleasantly stunned to notice that the tip of his nose was in focus but his eyes were slightly blurred. No, he doesn't have an abnormally long nose either!

I also own the Tamron 18-270mm lens that was mentioned earlier. This lens is also unbelievable, however, it is not without it's flaws. These flaws are not uncommon across the range of super zoom lenses though. Perhaps the most annoying thing for me is the AF is somewhat wonky/finicky. All in all though, I have so far found it to be a capable do-it-all lens. I haven't had it too long so it remains to be seen if it will truly become my go-to lens. For now I stick with the Nikkor 50mm when indoors, and use the Tamron for times when I need the zoom.

Finally, I very rarely will use the kit lens. I will probably sell it if I can, to be honest.

I cannot stress how good the 50mm Nikkor lens is for indoor and portrait shots. It's not a very pricey piece of gear either. You should definitely check one out, you won't regret it!

Update: I returned the Tamaron for a credit and bought a 55-200 VR and paid a little extra for a 60mm micro. I couldn't get over the cheap feel of the Tamaron, and I found the action to be uninspiringly stiff.

Also, don't listen to everyone saying that 18-55 kit lens is no good. I own it, and it is actually a pretty decent lens - if you take into account the price, it's actually an excellent lens. Experiment with the lens, and how to take advantage of its strong points, and you'll find that you are taking beautiful pictures in no time with it.

Last edited:

Mestre

The difference between a D5100 and a D90 is easily paid off buying a 50mm AF-D instead of a 50mm AF-S.

If you're looking for even higher ISOs and MP then try the D7000. But compare body + 50mm to get the total cost