Setup for indoor birthday party, need advice!

Anton5555

Hi! I've been practicing for a few months taking pictures In Manual mode, mostly daylight photos of flowers and other stuff, just to get an idea on how does this works.. I am familiar now with how to set up the camera and a little of post-processing. But today I can't fail, I'm taking pictures of my sister in law's 15 birthday. It's a small reunion at her place with family and friends.
Now to the technical stuff: it will be at night, indoor with light, and I will be taking portraits mostly.. So, I was thinking of using my 18-55 VRII (i also have a 35mm 1.8) with high ISO and fast shutter speed, and then play a little bit with aperture until I get it right. Any advice for a beginner??

Thanks in advance..

PD: sorry, my English is a little rusty..

RON_RIP

Because of the serious fluctuation of light inside, I switch from manual to Aperture preferred in circumstances like you are describing. Boost your ISO to around 1000 and you should be good to go.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
@Anton5555

I am not an expert at this type of photography, but I think if I was going to do this I would try to shoot a portrait or two in a similar situation beforehand. I think I would probably try the 35mm lens too, because it is a faster lens. I haven't owned or used one, but I do have the 18-55 VRII which is a nice lens, but not the fastest. The 35mm will open to f1.8 and the 18-55 will only open to f3.5-5.6 depending on the focal length you use. Faster lens means more light at a higher shutter speed and lower ISO.

I am not recommending how to shoot this party, only on trying things out before the party.

OH, and your English is fine, rusty or not. Ha!

Anton5555

Thanks guys!! I'll try to practice before the real photos, and as it is my first time I think I'll switch to aperture mode to make it easier and not to screw up ��

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Thanks guys!! I'll try to practice before the real photos, and as it is my first time I think I'll switch to aperture mode to make it easier and not to screw up ��
That sounds good. Don't forget that if you use Aperture priority, you can set the Auto ISO to a maximum setting of around 1000 and a minimum Shutter speed to 1/60 or 1/100 of a second. That would be some of my starting points, but I want to again clarify that I do not have much experience with this type of photography. As they say, Your mileage may vary. Ha!

aroy

I use the following settings when shooting indoors
. 35mm F1.8 at F1.8
. Aperture priority
. ISO 400 normally, 800 max
. AF - Single point (I use the centre most)
. AF-S for stationary and AF-C where there will be slight movement

Just ensure that there is sufficient light so that you get a high enough shutter speed. I would practice a lot to steady the hands at 1/30 to 1/50, as that is what most of the shots will be less light. If you are shooting action, then I would boost the ISO to 1600, but not beyond that.

If you are going to shoot a bit of action, just use your inbuilt flash

Anton5555

Thanks a lot people! I used mostly the 35mm lens, and I set it up almost like aroy says, and I think i got some pretty nice photos. Here are some samples:

View attachment DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg

I posted only some pics with low light that was my challenge for that night.. I accept advices!!

Anton5555

Really like this one. :encouragement:

I actually ruined this one, Saturday morning I recieved an order with the 35mm lens, the UV filters and some other accesories. I was lucky because I then realized the 35mm lens helped me a lot with low light photos. I put the filters on both lenses to protect them (I am a bit overprotecting :p), and the result is a glare in the middle of the image :'( that ruined it.. But overall I'm quite happy with the results!!!

Needa

Challenge Team
I actually ruined this one, Saturday morning I recieved an order with the 35mm lens, the UV filters and some other accesories. I was lucky because I then realized the 35mm lens helped me a lot with low light photos. I put the filters on both lenses to protect them (I am a bit overprotecting :p), and the result is a glare in the middle of the image :'( that ruined it.. But overall I'm quite happy with the results!!!

You spoiled the illusion.:) Just that it was cause by the candle smoke. Doesn't look like anything that can't be cleaned up.

Dawg Pics

Me too, thought it was smoke.
I think that can be cloned out easily. It is a good image. I like it.

You also have a nice model to practice portraits.

Last edited: