New to Photography and the D5300

napeequa55

Just pulled the trigger and ordered a D5300 w/ 18-140mm AF-S VR combo today.

Excited to get started with my first DSLR, and look forward to a lot of great advice and input from everyone here.

Thanks in advance :encouragement:

Needa

Challenge Team
Fist thing is to download the manual from Nikon and read it. Of course this is after you take a couple of shots.:)

nickt

If you are not completely understanding of the exposure triangle, get yourself there. I would do that before reading the manual. The camera is a tool to help you bring about good exposure. If you are not clear on why you might want to change shutter, aperture or ISO AND how they all relate to each other, the user manual might not make good sense. Get a solid understanding of the exposure triangle and you will have a much better time mastering the camera.

Here is a good article:
Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

The d5300 has a user manual and a reference manual. I don't think it comes with the reference manual. You really want the larger reference manual:
Nikon | Download center | D5300

Blacktop

Excited to get started with my first DSLR, and look forward to a lot of great advice and input from everyone here.

Good luck and have fun! That 18-140 is a very nice and capable lens.:encouragement:

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Welcome to the forum. Your D5300 is a great camera and very capable of producing outstanding photos with help from the person using it. Others have already given you some good advice on getting off to a good start with it. It took me some time to download the Reference manual, but I am glad I did. It is much more in depth than the User manual they send with the camera.

napeequa55

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have the user manual and reference manual saved to my phone now and will give them a read through!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danno

Congratulations! That is going to be a great camera for you. Looking forward to records of your excursions.

RobV

I bought a refurbished D5300 from Adorama. It did not come with the User Manual. :(
I downloaded both, and after looking at both of them for the same subject, I go straight for the Reference Manual now. There is a lot of information missing in the User Manual.

My first Nikon was the D5200 - new with a small User Manual.
Next was a D610 - new, but it came with a MUCH larger book. I was impressed, but I didn't notice the title. I just figured for the extra money, Nikon gave you more book! :)
I had to sell that, and I had given the 5200 to my stepson; and as nickt says in his sig line "I must have a really good camera."!

And the D5300 fits the bill!

Welcome! Is this your first camera with manual capabilities? Any film experience? Just wondering if you have had any exposure triangle experience before. Many of us are old farts that had film SLRs back when the darkroom was a dedicated room. Now it is wherever your computer is. :)

I didn't get my first DSLR until last September, so I am still a newbie compared to most here.
Great people here!