Landscape and wildlife lens

lbeas88

Hello Nikon family,

I just bought the D750 and it was bundled with the 24-120mm. The lens was essentially free with the camera so I figured I could always sell it if I bought a different lens. This is where my predicament is. It's my first full frame camera and I know the focal lengths are all different. I know that the lens I have is a great beginner lens. I just wanted some input as a landscape/wildlife photographer if I'm better keeping this lens until I can afford a really nice telephoto or if I should try to sell the 24-120mm for something like the 70-200mm. I definitely want a lens with a set aperature. I was considering getting a 35mm prime lens or a 24-70mm combo with the 70-200mm. I have shot mostly landscapes because I didn't have the range to shoot wildlife without getting really close but I love wildlife photography. Since I really want that range for both landscape and wildlife, I'm not sure what to start with. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks so much!

Geoffc

Hello Nikon family,

I just bought the D750 and it was bundled with the 24-120mm. The lens was essentially free with the camera so I figured I could always sell it if I bought a different lens. This is where my predicament is. It's my first full frame camera and I know the focal lengths are all different. I know that the lens I have is a great beginner lens. I just wanted some input as a landscape/wildlife photographer if I'm better keeping this lens until I can afford a really nice telephoto or if I should try to sell the 24-120mm for something like the 70-200mm. I definitely want a lens with a set aperature. I was considering getting a 35mm prime lens or a 24-70mm combo with the 70-200mm. I have shot mostly landscapes because I didn't have the range to shoot wildlife without getting really close but I love wildlife photography. Since I really want that range for both landscape and wildlife, I'm not sure what to start with. I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks so much!

Why do you need a fixed fast aperture for landscape? I would use the 24-120 until it causes a problem as it's a good lens. I have one and I'm happy with it for general use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nikonpup

welcome. Keep the 24-120mm for an everyday lens. Fixed aperture in a "wildlife" lens is going to cost $$$$$$. Most here @ nikonites are using long zooms with top end @ 500 or 600mm, (nikon, sigma and tamron).

TieuNgao

I think 24-120 is a good walk-around lens.
For landscape you may want to consider 16-35 f/4.
For wildlife I'd recommend 200-500 f/5.6

dullbird

Im looking at getting the Nikon tele as stated above me.

I have some friends with this lens getting suburb results. Obviously not as good as a professional prime out at that length but with an 8 grand difference in price

A pretty good result none the less

Sent from the right side of the brain

Blacktop

There is nothing wrong with the 24-120mm using it for landscapes unless you need an UWA lens. There is much more to taking landscape shots then just using a high end 1500 dollar lens. I've seen some really bad looking shots done with expensive lenses and some beauties done with a 24-120 or even an 18-140mm DX lens.

You may want to check out this photostream from one of our members here using a D610 and a 24-120mm lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/119003144@N05/
I know that the lens I have is a great beginner lens.

What makes you say that it's a beginners lens? Because it came bundled with your camera? What if the 14-24 came bundled, would that make it a beginner lens as well?

lbeas88

Thank you so much for all the help. I haven't dealt with much telephoto lenses and was hoping to really have 2 go to lenses which was why I was going to trade it in for a higher range and a lower range. From everything you all said it seems like it's a good lens and I should wait to buy the lenses that surround it. I completely understand the lens doesn't make the photographer. I was completely happy with my d3200 until I started taking more photos in low light. It also just doesn't get the definition for the background in landscape shots. I think you've convinced me to whip this bad boy out on my day off tomorrow! Thanks all!

aroy

Use the 24-120 as a general purpose lens. It is an excellent lens for its price.

For tele your most optimum is the Nikon 200-500.

For landscape, get a pre owned AIS lens - 24 or 28mm F2.8. You will any way be shooting landscapes at a higher aperture on a tripod so a manual focus lens is no hinderance