John's Photos

Johnathan Aulabaugh

So as I stated in the critique section the other day, I have a little project going and instead of gummin up the critique zone with an image or 2 every day i figured I would just centralize them to one spot and you guys can give me your thoughts as I go.
right now I am exploring new techniques in PS as well as a little project to use only a 50mm for the next week, which is unusual for me. I rarely use this lens and this is going to be one of those eye opening weeks.
Fence.jpg

20110909_5166asSmartObject-1.jpg

Rick M

I really like the feel and composition of the first shot. Any particular effect applied? it looks HDRish. The horizon almost looks painted, nice effect. I have mixed feelings on the DOF, but it does add a surreal feeling in the distance. Might also be interesting to re-visit this shot with a wider angle when you have concluded your 50mm work. I like the second shot but does not give me any feeling like the first. Both nice shots John.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

I really like the feel and composition of the first shot. Any particular effect applied? it looks HDRish. The horizon almost looks painted, nice effect. I have mixed feelings on the DOF, but it does add a surreal feeling in the distance. Might also be interesting to re-visit this shot with a wider angle when you have concluded your 50mm work. I like the second shot but does not give me any feeling like the first. Both nice shots John.

You might call it a hand blended HDR. It is created with 3 images but by blending by hand I have much more control over the effect. Once I get the basic effect done I also apply some dodge and burn. In the shadows and highlights. I tried with the second image but it was not nearly as attractive to me so I used the original and did some basic corections before also using the dodge and burn tools

JoeLewisPhotography

first one is well composed and a good subject but the effects are over done for MY taste. The second one, well it seams sharp, but the subject matter is lacking. Am I supposed to be looking at the uninteresting rock, the uninteresting post or the flowery weeds? I don't mean to sound harsh, but subject matter is 50% of what makes good photo. Keep at it and keep posting!

Johnathan Aulabaugh

first one is well composed and a good subject but the effects are over done for MY taste. The second one, well it seams sharp, but the subject matter is lacking. Am I supposed to be looking at the uninteresting rock, the uninteresting post or the flowery weeds? I don't mean to sound harsh, but subject matter is 50% of what makes good photo. Keep at it and keep posting!
I do plan to go back. This little area is pretty cool and I want to also catch it on a little brighter feeling day.

Not Harsh at all, subject matter can be subjective though. Each person has an idea of what makes a photo work or not. Some like flowers and some like mountains etc. I can honestly say there are many "seasoned" photographers even here that i do not care for their images. It is a matter of taste. While I do have my issues with this image, I focused on the post with the intent to make the rocks and flowering bush seem in focus creating a triangle. My issues with the image had to do with lack of pop so I have since revisited the bracket and resolved that issue
I also do plan to shoot this again because I was unable to get the path to the right into the frame, which IMO would have changed the entire make up of the image

As I have said over and over I am not a fan of over done HDR, BUT the 1st image has stirred up a lot of positive feedback in the last few hours so I am hesitant to change it at all.

fotojack

I'm not a big fan of HDR myself, but I must say I like the first shot. I think it looks cool. I'm not so sure about the second shot, though. Doesn't do a thing for me. Maybe, like you said, if you get that path in the shot and re-post, it might make a difference. Good work, bud. :)

Johnathan Aulabaugh

So tonight I had a plan to go down and spend the evening getting shots into the sunset. While I have not been able to make one shot work the way i want from the sunset, I was also fortunate to be able to shoot some shots of a thunder storm as it passed as well.
20110911_5536asSmartObject-1.jpg

20110911_5531asSmartObject-1.jpg

20110911_5471asSmartObject-1.jpg

20110911_5469asSmartObject-1.jpg

Rick M

Excellent shots John!

I guess you'll remember when you took these with the flag at half mast

Last edited:

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Thanks guys. I am pretty proud of these. It is literally the first time I have been able to get decent lightning shots so for me it is a "moment" lol
Oddly, I dont know whats up but I noticed a round purple haze in a few of the images near center. IDK if it is my camera or the lens or just some type of reflection. I do know I need to clean the sensor though.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Well today was one of those days that offers little to draw on for me. So, the camera got a good cleaning, bought a rain cover, and waited for evening to come. My daughter has been ill most of the day so while she was relaxing with momma, I went out back to try for something. Not something that would normally draw me to it but here is from tonight.
Stream.jpg

Johnathan Aulabaugh

So I already wrote all this once and for some reason it signed me out when I posted. So the week using the 50mm exclusively is over and I learned a few things about it and my own shooting. hopefully I can build on that. I can see the benefit of shooting primes and even with my current lenses I could go primes for every thing under 70mm and only need 2 lenses to do most of what i enjoy shooting.
Anyways here are some shots from last night. I kinda like them all so I could not figure what to post up
Tree.jpg

Tree2.jpg

Dock.jpg

20110916_5672asSmartObject-1.jpg

HistoricDowntown2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick M

Nice shots John, I like the first and last the most. I find when using only primes, I spend more time on the details and usually end up with better shots.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

I agree with that Rick, I noticed that myself last night. I grabbed the 18-105 and headed out. I noticed I spent more time trying to compose through the lens than to compose for the lens. And while I feel that I got a good shot or 2, i also feel that the 50 might have done a better job of most of the images.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Last night was fun. I took my wife and daughter to the river and did some shots on the pier. it was a lot of fun. As I stated above I took the trusty 18-105.
the last one needed lighting help but holding the reflector and running the camera....
FishingPole2.jpg

20110917_5829asSmartObject-1.jpg

20110917_5846asSmartObject-1.jpg

Rick M

Couldn't use the onboard flash for Fill? I like the 2 of the family, the fishing pole doesn't do anything for me, probably since I don't fish.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Haha I had the reflector and a hotshoes just the reflector changed at the wrong time lol.
I am an outdoorsmen I actually tried a strait shot and this unlevel shot and prefered the unlevel. Lol I am crushed, j/k, I actually worked pretty hard on that shot. The keep it simple stupid idea was strong in my mind suring the shot bracket and then processed in a way I doubt I can duplicate lol.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Yesterday I was contacted by a young woman hoping to break into the modeling industry. I have not shot a model in near a year and I had nothin' special going on, so I agreed to meet with her and discuss what she wanted. As fate would have it, the weather was perfect, the waves at the beach were about 3ft high and I could not help myself. I am still working on most of these and may even revisit this for a little tweek, but I told her to give me a superwoman look and thought this was pretty good.
20110918_0439asSmartObject-1.jpg