Street photography - Which lens ?

carguy

I've read up a bit on Street Photography. 28-50mm seems to be the general consensus. It's the longest I use personally. To me, longer zooms sway from 'Street Photography' a bit.

Consider a 35mm 1.8G if you haven't already.

J-see

Contrary to what is mostly used, I use my 150-600mm when shooting.

I personally don't see many advantages in using short lengths. Besides maybe being able to use a slower shutter.

Horoscope Fish

I intend to do more street photography I already have a 16-85 lens, do you think I may need a little more reach ?
I would say a lot depends on how you intend to approach this particular style of shooting. I've experimented a bit with street shooting and found I prefer focal lengths in the wide-to-normal lengths. 24mm-50mm works well for me on a full-frame body, but that's because I like getting in the thick of what I'm shooting while maintaining some environmental context whenever possible. Typically speaking I found shooting wider, with a deeper DoF and a high shutter speed was the order of the day (ISO be damned!) typically speaking, but there are always exceptions. I also found I much preferred prime lenses over zooms because it's just one less thing to think about when something amazing is about to unfold in front of me.

TL Robinson

I generally walk around with my 24-70 locked on my D750 - sometimes for fun I'll pop the 85 1.4 Rokinon on just for grins and to make people question if I know what I'm actually doing or not. There really isn't a "right" answer to this kind of question IMO because what matters is the end result for me...

RON_RIP

If you are willing to focus with your feet, you can not go wrong with a nifty 50 or even the 60mm micro, which I prefer. That being said, many old time photo journalist swore by the 24-120 street sweeper of which the 16-85 is the dx equivilent

Moab Man

I use a min of 300mm. My reason is that I want to capture the person that doesn't know a camera is on them and not the person that comes out when they see a camera.

MaxBlake

I just spent some time in the Boston area and had good luck with a D5500 and the 18-140 mm lens. The range allowed me do a lot of street photography, but the extra reach provided access to taller buildings, architectural touches, and remaining unobtrusive of the passing scene. I was encouraged by the results and will be sure to take the same lens along for future endeavors.