D500 vs D7200

Allen

So, I am still enjoying my D7000, but perhaps its time to start thinking about a new body. Unfortunately, I am pretty much out of date regarding the latest hardware. Over the last few years I have enjoyed lots of different subject matter.....from hummingbirds, to vistas to HDR to panos. Not into sports photography, but like some macro....really interested in trying some focus stacking.

Any opinions would be welcome....tnx

Oh, current lenses include 18-200 walk around, 60mm macro, 150-500 tele...for the moment.

BackdoorArts

You may want to follow my musings here. http://nikonites.com/d7200/35850-d7200-v-d500-twice-camera.html#axzz45zikkDKe

For me it's all about high ISO noise, or lack thereof. You'll get a bump for sure with the D7200, but the initial images I'm seeing from the D500 are incredible. I'm spoiled with the D750 and am hoping when the camera ships next week (supposedly 4/21) I make the first cut of orders from B&H. It's bird season and I'm shooting with the D750 instead of the D7100 because I get better results cropping at higher ISOs than I do with the D7100's noise over 1600.

And for things like macro you can't beat having an articulating back screen.

mauckcg

So, I am still enjoying my D7000, but perhaps its time to start thinking about a new body. Unfortunately, I am pretty much out of date regarding the latest hardware. Over the last few years I have enjoyed lots of different subject matter.....from hummingbirds, to vistas to HDR to panos. Not into sports photography, but like some macro....really interested in trying some focus stacking.

Oh, current lenses include 18-200 walk around, 60mm macro, 150-500 tele...for the moment.
The big three differences will be the buffer, frame rate, and autofocus. If your not shooting moving objects at dusk and dawn to full blown night than, or you need the FPS and buffer, you ought to be just fine with a D7200.

The D500 is really a camera you really only need it if your primary shooting is really pushing what a dslr can do.

salukfan111

The big three differences will be the buffer, frame rate, and autofocus. If your not shooting moving objects at dusk and dawn to full blown night than, or you need the FPS and buffer, you ought to be just fine with a D7200.

The D500 is really a camera you really only need it if your primary shooting is really pushing what a dslr can do.
I'm looking forward to using it on owls, harriers (at higher f stops) and astrophotography and this seems great. Hopefully the AF is better at focusing on owls and harrier than the grass below and behind them. This camera should allow me to incorporate a CPL and f/8 without giving up much from what I get with a d7100.

Danno

Allen, I really believe these are both good cameras. Sounds like you do the same kind of shooting that I do, except I do not do much macro. Mostly some birds and Vistas and architecture. I like Sunrises too. I am pleased with what I can do with the D7200. Most of my limitations are not the camera.

Would I like the D500. Sure, but I since I am on disability, and no longer have the Engineering salary I enjoyed, I have to weigh things more carefully with the "want and need" scale. I have had the D7200 since December 9, 2015. I cannot say that I have hit a point that I have had the camera disappoint me. On the contrary I find if very effective. I have had a great time with it and as I grow into it I think that will continue.

But if you can afford the latest and greatest. Go for it. I think the D500 is amazing... are you paying a premium because it is new. Of course. That is the way business works. Companies know that there is a portion of the market that will pay a premium for the latest and greatest. But we have all done it if we really feel it meets our needs.

Blacktop

Honestly for what you shoot (mixed bag) and what lenses you have, I would get the D7200 and spend the rest on some nice glass. (just my opinion of course)