Tamron 150-600mm failure

Vixen

:(Had to send my Tamzooka away for warranty (I hope) work. Last few times I've used it, it freezes and won't autofocus. Nothing works to fix it. Auto-focus motor screams at me. However will I cope without it?

I know a few people have had the freezing problem. I've had it occasionally and normally turning the camera off and reseating the lens fixes it, but this problem sounds a little terminal :(Thankfully it is still in warranty

Vixen

3 weeks and no word yet. I'm missing my lens
7351.png

Scott Murray

Mine does the same, have not sent it away as yet. Going to replace it with a Nikon or sigma... This is not my first Tamron to lose its auto focus. Maybe a reason to stay clear?

J-see

Same problem and it slowly gets worse as time goes by. When it gets too bad I'll bin her and get a TC1.4 instead.

paul04

When mine did that, I'd turn the camera off, unmount and remount the lens and that would solve it.

I've had mine freeze just once, but not sure if was the camera that had froze or the lens, but a quick turn off/on fixed the problem, fingers crossed it was only the once.

Vixen

Mine does the same, have not sent it away as yet. Going to replace it with a Nikon or sigma... This is not my first Tamron to lose its auto focus. Maybe a reason to stay clear?

A friend told me her Tamron lens (it's not 150-600...another one...18-270 I think) has totally lost autofocus. Funnily the shop I bought my lens from said mine is the first they've had back. Maybe they don't sell many ;) I was thinking if it is not fixable under warranty and is going to cost me more than I think reasonable I might ditch it for another brand. I do know I can't be without a lens of that capability anymore :D

480sparky

A friend told me her Tamron lens (it's not 150-600...another one...18-270 I think) has totally lost autofocus. Funnily the shop I bought my lens from said mine is the first they've had back. Maybe they don't sell many ;) I was thinking if it is not fixable under warranty and is going to cost me more than I think reasonable I might ditch it for another brand. I do know I can't be without a lens of that capability anymore :D

Yep, it was easily fixed. I sold it and bought a Nikon 200-500. :rolleyes:

RobV

Yep, it was easily fixed. I sold it and bought a Nikon 200-500. :rolleyes:
That is the lens I have my eye on when I get back in the black.
Thanks for this thread. I haven't given Tamron or Sigma much thought. I think I will continue the practice.
Quality over quantity.

480sparky

That is the lens I have my eye on when I get back in the black.
Thanks for this thread. I haven't given Tamron or Sigma much thought. I think I will continue the practice.
Quality over quantity.

Image quality between the Tamzooka and Nikkor are pretty much the same (yes, I did race them). But the Nikkor has much better and faster autofocus as well as VR.

RobV

Image quality between the Tamzooka and Nikkor are pretty much the same (yes, I did race them). But the Nikkor has much better and faster autofocus as well as VR.
I hadn't even considered speed of the autofocus (surely the Tamron has VR).
My statements were based purely on presumed reliability.
But remember, I am the guy who bought a 500mm Nikon reflex without asking questions here first! Gotta love "home-schooling" (with the student being the teacher). :)

480sparky

I hadn't even considered speed of the autofocus (surely the Tamron has VR).
My statements were based purely on presumed reliability.
But remember, I am the guy who bought a 500mm Nikon reflex without asking questions here first! Gotta love "home-schooling" (with the student being the teacher). :)

Not only is the Nikkor a bit faster, but latches onto focus much more reliably. The Tamzooka would 'hunt' far more in low light and low contrast.

Vixen

The good news is...I rang the store I bought it from today and they tell me it is back and repaired under warranty. This is excellent news as yesterday I discovered the company that it went to (Australian Distributors...Maxwells) has closed and been taken over, so I was a little concerned. I'll pick it up tomorrow and see how it goes.

I'm off on our boat tomorrow for 10days....YAY!! ;)

Should it fail again....I'll be buying the Nikkor lens maybe.