Profile correction LRcc for D750 and 28-70mm 2.8

dullbird

Hey guys

I have a new D750 and on the front of it is a new Nikon 24-70mm lens 2.8 this is not the newest VR version.

Recently I have uploaded some photos from this new set up into LRcc and when ticking profile correction (yes the lens is listed in there)

Im noticing some awful vignetting it wouldn't be so bad if it was darkened corners but its the other end of the scale. Its basically turning my corners white?!

Has anyone experienced this?

In order to rectify I'm having to slide the vignetting slider almost 50% along to correct it.

Sent from the right side of the brain

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

Posting a sample image or two of the problem you're seeing would help. Maybe a jpg SOOC as well as an export from LR to see the lens correction that LR is applying...

BackdoorArts

Given that you had to choose the lens I suspect you're adjusting a JPEG. Profile correction on a JPEG is done in camera (there are various levels of correction that can be applied). Lr's correction is meant to correct distortion and vignette in the RAW image. So, if you apply the RAW-based correction to a JPEG that already has some level of correction applied in camera then you're going to get exactly what you're seeing.

To apply additional vignette correction to a jpeg you're going to have to do it manually.

dullbird

Haha no sorry you suspect wrong the only time a jpeg gets in to my folder is on export.

I don't do in camera correction and i only shoot in raw and i edit the raw images in LR.

The correction IS correcting vignetting??? But its not correcting it its making it worse this is my point.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Can you switch to a different lens profile to see if it makes any difference? I think both Sigma and Tamron made 28-70mm f/2.8 lenses.

dullbird

Thats a good idea never considered doing that will give it a go see what the results are

BackdoorArts

Haha no sorry you suspect wrong the only time a jpeg gets in to my folder is on export.

I don't do in camera correction and i only shoot in raw and i edit the raw images in LR.

The correction IS correcting vignetting??? But its not correcting it its making it worse this is my point.

OK, then there's got to be something going on because that lens is so widely used that for Adobe to have the correction wrong would be something spoken of widely - and fixed quickly.

Lens corrections are not camera dependent, so it doesn't matter what body you're using with it (other than FX vs. DX). That's not to say that the correction will always be to taste, which is why Lr offers the option for you to tweak the vignette and distortion sliders and replace the Default settings (in the Profile tab of the Lens Correction section in the Setup drop down).

Would be great to see examples of the same photo with Profile Correction turned off, turned on at the original default, and as you like it.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My only other question is this: have you changed any import settings and created a preset that is being applied? This isn't something I've done myself so wouldn't be able to give you any further info on how to undo it.

dullbird

No hark. The only difference is I went from using LR5 to LRCC but CC was just as new as the camera and lens.

If I get a chance over the weekend will try and get a before and after to show you. Although at the moment its not looking likely

BackdoorArts

The only difference is I went from using LR5 to LRCC but CC was just as new as the camera and lens.

Ding-ding-ding. LR5 never had support for the VR version of the 24-70mm f2.8, just the old non-VR version. A quick search finds that it was added in Lr6.2/LrCC. Whatever Lr5 was pulling in was not for your lens.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Ding-ding-ding. LR5 never had support for the VR version of the 24-70mm f2.8, just the old non-VR version. A quick search finds that it was added in Lr6.2/LrCC. Whatever Lr5 was pulling in was not for your lens.

I'm trying to understand this myself...he has the Nikon 28-70 (not 24-70) non-VR lens...unless the '28' was a typo on his part. So is it possible that LCC dropped the profile he was using in LR5 if he has the 28-70mm lens?

BackdoorArts

I'm trying to understand this myself...he has the Nikon 28-70 (not 24-70) non-VR lens...unless the '28' was a typo on his part. So is it possible that LCC dropped the profile he was using in LR5 if he has the 28-70mm lens?

Ah, so I misread old vs. new. First things first, there's a 28-70mm f2.8 D series lens, but it's old and it's not listed in either the Lr5 or LrCC lens profile sets for Nikon lenses. Perhaps you're selecting the 24-70mm, or did you download a custom profile for it? If the latter then it's entirely possible that the custom profile changed between versions if you re-downloaded it. Regardless it's not an Adobe supported lens.

dullbird

No its a typo i thought i fixed that bloody tapatalk its the 24 not the 28

And I don't have the VR that was released but i bought last of the non VR saved myself nearly a grand at the time.

Will fix the typo again?!

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

OK, so if it is the 24-70mm f2.8 non-VR then you simply need to make sure you're getting the right profile from LrCC since it has the new E-series lens in there too. I can't imagine that it's changed between so I would also make sure that in the Camera Calibration section you're using the same Process (assuming it's "2012 (Current)") and Profile. Perhaps you used to default the Profile in LR5 to something other than Adobe Standard and LRCC isn't picking that up?

Otherwise, I'd really like to see examples because I'm out of guesses.