Focus points on far sides

rece2000

I typically stick to the autofocus points in the center when taking photos. However, I have some instances, if I'm shooting portrait, where I would like to use the focus points, typicially, on the far right (which become the ones on top when I turn my camera). Taking some shots the other day, when I zoomed in, I noticed the shots were very fuzzy--not sharp at all. I was using a Tamron lens, so to double check, I tested it with my Nikon 50mm today. The shots taken with the more central points were pretty sharp, but again, on both the far left and ride sides, they were fuzzy. It looked to me, at least with the Tamron lens, that the area below the actual focus point used was sharper, so maybe it's just off a bit. I know the central points tend to be more accurate, etc, but should the photos be so clearly out of focus on the ends? If I use the one point in the far top left corner, it won't even focus. I have to put it in the middle left for it to auto focus. Not sure if this is just something with the camera, of if I will need to send it in. I can contact Nikon and talk with them, but just wondering if anyone else has the same issue--if it's a 5300 issue, or my singular camera issue...

Thanks!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I can't answer your question directly, but I will ask a couple to clarify to help answer your question. Are you on a tripod or are you shooting hand held? If hand held, for me I am not as steady when shooting in portrait mode. Just a thought. Next question, do you have another lens that you would be able to test the same scenarios with ie a Nikon? Also, when shooting portrait are you changing the number of focus points?

rece2000

I was hand holding. I noticed it when I was shooting portrait because that's where the eyes were, but I tested it landscape, the sides were still fuzzy but the center points were not--again, handheld. I have a couple other lenses I could test. I had only seen it on the tamron lens (the first lens used), and then when I tested it on my Nikon 50mm. I always use single point focus, and was selecting a couple points at different times on the far sides, of each side. I wouldn't normally use these focus points anyway, so maybe I shouldn't worry about it. But, like I said, would possibly when shooting portrait if that is where the eyes will be when doing a full body shot. I hope that answers your questions? Thanks for your response!

Blacktop

I typically stick to the autofocus points in the center when taking photos. However, I have some instances, if I'm shooting portrait, where I would like to use the focus points, typicially, on the far right (which become the ones on top when I turn my camera). Taking some shots the other day, when I zoomed in, I noticed the shots were very fuzzy--not sharp at all. I was using a Tamron lens, so to double check, I tested it with my Nikon 50mm today. The shots taken with the more central points were pretty sharp, but again, on both the far left and ride sides, they were fuzzy. It looked to me, at least with the Tamron lens, that the area below the actual focus point used was sharper, so maybe it's just off a bit. I know the central points tend to be more accurate, etc, but should the photos be so clearly out of focus on the ends? If I use the one point in the far top left corner, it won't even focus. I have to put it in the middle left for it to auto focus. Not sure if this is just something with the camera, of if I will need to send it in. I can contact Nikon and talk with them, but just wondering if anyone else has the same issue--if it's a 5300 issue, or my singular camera issue...

Thanks!

You can use the center point (s) to focus on what you need and then while still holding the shutter halfway down just re-compose and shoot. The center focus points are cross type points. The ones off to the side are not.

Understanding Normal and Cross-Type Focusing Points