best way to brighten a stone wall

tea2085

I have a pic taken at a park and I would like to brighten just the stone walls on each side of the road. What tool (either PS or LR) would be the best to accomplish this? Thanks; Paul

nikonpup

if what blacktop recommended doesn't work for you it is time to move on. 4 months trying to save an image......why.

Blacktop

Moab, the picture is in this thread http://nikonites.com/post-processing/33759-letchworth-state-park.html#axzz45RBGZTDZ
I am still working on this photo and still believe I can make it a great shot. Paul

I processed it for you in that thread. Your settings could use some help. You shot this at f/29 with 1/15th shutter speed. A shot like this doesn't need anything over f/11 IMO. I like the fact that you didn't blow the highlights and I was able to fix that. I also liked your composition. Good job on those things, but like I said you need to study up on the exposure triangle. Also you should watch some videos on LR as well. It was pretty simple to get to how I got your shot in LR.

tea2085

nikonpup, being fairly new to photography , I thought this is the best picture I have taken so far and I recently sent it to Nations for an enlargement. When I got the enlargement and I kept looking at it and decided that if the walls were brighter-it would be more pleasing. I have not been working on it for 4 months and the new pic just kind of resurrected my interest in the photo. Besides that, what's the hurry? I like what black top advised about the exposure triangle and will strive to understand that. Paul

Moab Man

Seeing the image, thanks for the link, I would use an adjustment brush in camera raw. Combined with a Wacom tablet you could really make the adjustments the way you would like.

If you're not familiar, imaging painting a the Sistine Chapel with a rock, that's what a mouse is like. The Wacom tablet is a precision paintbrush. Once you start using one you can't imagine ever working without one. But, all tools in their due time.

Moab Man

You don't need it! Just watch some videos on using the adjustment brush. This is really a simple thing to learn.

Nope, you don't NEED it, but the analogy is correct. The pressure sensitivity (2048 levels) of the tablet is amazing, but until you're using it you just don't know. Like I said, in due time.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I have used the adj brushes but didn't like the results- maybe just more practice? Paul
Pardon me for jumping in but... Is this close to what you're trying to achieve?
004 copy.jpg

tea2085

Fish, I like it but was looking for more clarity with the stone walls, I think you ran into the same thing I did with the brush as nothing is well defined and no real colorshas been added to the photo. Maybe that's the best we can do , given the Fstop setting and very slow shutter speed. Thanks Fish- Paul

Horoscope Fish

Fish, I like it but was looking for more clarity with the stone walls, I think you ran into the same thing I did with the brush as nothing is well defined and no real colorshas been added to the photo. Maybe that's the best we can do , given the Fstop setting and very slow shutter speed. Thanks Fish- Paul
Well it's an easy thing to ADD clarity, contrast, sharpness and too punch up the color a bit if that's what you want. Your original post just said "lighten"...

tea2085

I guess I'm just not that advanced quite yet ( to do those things) . Just looked at your Flickr photos for the second time and know you are. I'll keep working at and maybe I'll be able to take and process pictures like yours and many other Nikonites who frequent the forum. I just love the learning process and find it very therapeutic for myself. Thanks, Paul

Horoscope Fish

I guess I'm just not that advanced quite yet ( to do those things) . Just looked at your Flickr photos for the second time and know you are. I'll keep working at and maybe I'll be able to take and process pictures like yours and many other Nikonites who frequent the forum. I just love the learning process and find it very therapeutic for myself. Thanks, Paul
Well I think most anyone here, myself included, would be happy to help you flatten the learning curve but I guess I'm not understanding exactly where you want to go with this shot; and if you don't have a clear idea of what you want to do, of where you want to go... Then it's all the more difficult to get there.

tea2085

I was looking for something more like this-more punch, more color!! I did this this morning and may just settle on it142-3-4.jpg

Last edited: