BBF a go

bikeit

Going to give BBF a go tomorow at a local cycling race, so what works best with it, S,M,A mode, centre , matrix or spot metering. will be using a D7100 with a 70-200mm F/2.8 Nikon lens

Woodyg3

Contributor
I don't know what BBF stands for, but to shoot a cycling race I would use matrix metering, shutter priority or manual with auto ISO, and keep the shutter speed 1/500 or higher. You can also pan for a blur/speed effect at slower speeds, of course. Make sure to post the pictures so we can see what you've done! :)

Moab Man

I would use shutter priority. It's all about capturing the action. Fast to freeze the action or slow and panning to give the sensation of movement. Then use the exposure compensation to dial in what the camera is doing with the aperture in trying to get a good exposure.

I prefer matrix. The spot metering could really be thrown off by a bright white jersey or black.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

BBF - Back button focus, when posting photos here what size do they have to be?

Going to give BBF a go tomorow at a local cycling race, so what works best with it, S,M,A mode, centre , matrix or spot metering. will be using a D7100 with a 70-200mm F/2.8 Nikon lens

BBF is just for focus. Exposure is totally different and several people here are given you ideas already. Just incase you need additional info of BBF here are some links.

Back Button Focus is a great tool for so many photographers and is something I think everyone should try at least once. Below are a few sites that talk about the how and why of Back Button Focus.

Benefits of Using the AF-ON Button for Autofocus by Nikon USA

BACK BUTTON FOCUSING – EASIER THAN YOU THINK! by Improve Photography

Here is a good YouTube video that goes over the why and how of Back Button Focusing.

You can do a search of the forum on "Back Button Focus" or BBF and see the many threads that have been created on this subject.

Try it, You will like it.

Remember to set focus on AF-C and leave it there all the time even if shooting still subjects. Hold the BBF down gives you AF-C and when you release it you automatically go to AF-S. Best of both worlds at the touch of your thumb

singlerosa_RIP

Sounds like fun. And a chance to give many methods/settings a try. In addition to the exposure triangle, you have stop action, panning, different angles (ground level, etc.) that you can play with. As mentioned earlier, please post some pics. If you don't want to resize, you don't have to. I'm a rebel /loner and sometimes I post a 7MB file here. Most times though, I save to jpg @ 2MB. Not a bike race, but.... - look how much fun the little kids are having!

JFS_0677.jpg