Thoughts on Nikon 18-35mm F3.5-4.5 D-ED wide angle lens

Nikonite1222

Good evening everyone-

I have been researching for some time now on my next lens. I borrowed wide angle lens earlier this summer and no want one of my own. I am getting hooked on the different composition that you can create with a wide angle.

Becuase my budget does not allow for a $1100 to upwards of $1700. I was able to find a Nikon 18-35mm 3.5 -4.5 that was a bit more in my price range.

I read some reviews and it had pretty good comments made about it but would like to know your thoughts. I shoot a Nikon D200 and I love wide angle HDR at night or landscape during the day. I know that the 3.5 to 4.5 will mead longer exposure at night, but I have a cable release and I'm not worried about the longer exposures.

Well ,,, I've gone on long enough, plea let me know whatever you thing of this lens or any experience you've had also.

Thanks for taking the time

Sincerely- Douglas

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
For DX, 18-35 is not very wide. It's equivalent to 27-53mm for Full Frame sensor. I think you would be better with the Tokina 11-16 which has a constant of 2.8 and is very well considered amongst a lot of people. And I think it's under 1k as well.
I have the Sigma 10-20 4-4.6 that cost me around under 600$ and I'm happy with it, but I regret not having spent a little more and getting the Tokina.

Nikonite1222

Hi Marcel- thanks for the reply, I auctually got tovuse a Tokina lens,,I forget what size,,,but I think it was a 12 to 24???? I think,,,but the problem I had was something broke inside and was rattling around and from time to time, it would not let me zoom in or out,,,like the piece was getting in the way. Others have said there quality leaves much to be desired,,,wich confirms what happened to me. Although it did take great photos.

What is your experience with Tokina lenses ????

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh, I've got no experience with it. Just what I read from other members of this forum.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't dislike the Sigma, but would like to have the 2.8 constant opening of the Tokina.

Mestre

Ok, i'm just bring other options to the original post :)
The new Sigma is a fine ultra wide lens, with pros and cons when compared with the Tokina.

Arizphotodude

I just purchased the Tokina 11-16 for my D7000. Just three words.....I LOVE IT!! Although I have only had the lens a few weeks, the build quality seems really sturdy, in fact a lot studier than many of the Nikon lenses out there. For under $700 not sure you can beat it.