Lens Compatibility

Chris Cotton

Hi,

I' have a d7200, a Nikon 1.4tc II teleconvertor and a Nikon 500mm AFS ED II. All were bought second hand and I'm having a real problem. The lens and body work fine together, but add the tc and often autofocus won't work and within the lens (this is looking inside the drop in filter) I hear this. See the aperture on the top screen flicking between f4 and f5.6:
https://goo.gl/photos/yQR16pNunqtqTtPP9

To add, the combo often works and then will suddenly do this. Sometimes fiddling with the TC (there's a bit of give between body and TC /TC and lens) fixes it, sometimes not. Sometimes taking the TC off the lens fixes it, sometimes not. Sometimes for love nor money I can't make the problem occur and sometimes I just can't fix it at all for a while! I've only had each piece of equipment about a week and noticed this the first time I added the TC into the mix on saturday... For 6 hours I used the body and lens with no issue.

So it sounds like the TC is the problem..but I've tried 2 other TCs of the same type and all show the same problem. I've tried the same setup with an old d5000 and my TC and there's no issue. This would suggest the camera, but the body plus my TC on someone's 600mm VR works fine!

I go on another forum and have found one person who had the same issue with a new body, TC and old lens combo. I'm trying to get to the bottom of the issue so I wondered if anybody else had come across this compatibility issue? The guy I said about even sent his stuff to Nikon, they changed the connectors etc and 12 months later nobody at Nikon has an answer. I've cleaned all the connections but no help.

Thanks for any help anybody can shed on this.

Last edited:

MaxBlake

Just curious as to whether you've asked the folks at Nikon for an opinion on the situation. I've made a couple/three calls through the years with questions about this or that and have always found the information gleaned to be useful.

I will say that it's been my experience when using a digital camera that a teleconvertor seldom works as advertised, even when the lens/camera is purported match. In the old days, I used one all the time, it seemed. These days, not so much.

skene

Have you cleaned the terminal connections on the TC? Could it be possible that there is a prong not making proper contact between the lens and body.

paul04

A friend who has a D800e and a 300mm f2.8 lens was testing out a 1.4 tele-convertor from the local camera shop, to get a bit of extra reach on the lens,

It was a bit of hit and miss, the main problem he had, was the camera would freeze, and had to turn it off/on to get it working again, in the end he returned it back to the store.

On a different camera/lens combination it might have worked ok.