overexposure in Auto

Train Ferry

Ok, I know such a camera isn't really made to use in the Auto stand. But sometimes it's easier...

Everytime I'm shooting in Auto, I feel like that my Nikon does overexpose the photo. Is this just general or might there be a problem? Hereby some pictures:

Auto stand:

Auto-stand.JPG

P stand:

P%20stand.JPG

WayneF

Actually, the blue and yellow of the fish are overexposed and slightly clipping in the second one. No explanation for the first one.
But curious, what were the associated settings involved in the two? Shutter speed, aperture, ISO for exposure, and also White Balance and Color profile ?

There are more differences in Auto and P mode than just "exposure".

Auto is auto everything, little if any user control is possible (I think None is the way to say it).

P mode is Not necessarily Auto ISO unless you turn it on. Did you?
P mode is Not necessarily Auto White Balance unless you turn it on. Did You?
P mode is not auto color profile (like Vivid or Landscape), it uses the one you have selected.

The purpose of A,S,P,M modes is that we can control everything ourself. It is a different mind set than Auto.

I think white balance is a lot of the difference. I don't find any good target to examine, but in Auto the blue seems higher than red, and in the P mode, blue seems to be lower than the red.

Last edited:

aroy

Auto mode gives average images most of the time. If you shoot RAW then you can adjust D Lighting to correct the exposures.

Overexposure depends on what the metering is implemented in Auto mode. In general I find that under uniform light Matrix works best, but in a wide DR Spot is better, Centre Weighed is fine for portraits.

I shoot RAW and in general, irrespective of the metering modes, RED and at times BLUE get over exposed by 1EV, though that can be easily corrected in post.