The art of Daylighting Artficially my flower shot

Borga Voffe

Using a flash with a Nikkor 55 on a manual Nikon F3 was not easy, maybe I should have gotten that 105 micro to get some distance, That was back in the 1990ies

Now, with my shiny new d7200 and two new micro lenses -- the 40 and an manual 105 micro (made in 1998) -- this must bee way easier I guess??

Dvergsyre.jpg

This is a small one, Iceland purslane, its about 3 cm max, and it always grows inbetween rocks and always soaked in water, cold mountain water. Very difficult to take pictures of!

Please note, I never carry a tripod out in the mountaina, my gear/ food, dog food, clothes, three lenses / is enough of a burden :)

What is a nice and lightweigth setup for flash photo of my small mountain flowers?

I maybe not go as expensive as SB-R1C1, but rather a ring ligth like Sigma EM-140?
Or not at all, just two small flashes I handheld, but then, can my d7200 control the light out of these??
On gooogle, a gadget called Nikon SU-800 came up, what is that?

Last edited:

Elliot87

[MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION] designed a macro diffuser from foam that works very well just using the pop up flash on your camera. All you need is a piece of suitable foam and an adapter ring to fit the thread of your macro lens. In my case that is 52mm thread so I ordered this Phot-R 52 mm Metal Adapter Ring for Cokin P-Series: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo and some 5mm foam called "ethafoam".

This is what mine looks like, excuse the hastily snapped pictures.
DSC_8311.jpg
DSC_8315.jpg
DSC_8320.jpg

Providing you have somewhere in your bag you can put it where it won't get crushed, its an extremely lightweight and effective tool for macro photography. Scott's original thread has some sample shots he took using his original version. http://nikonites.com/macro/30250-ma...2.html?highlight=macro+diffuser#axzz43kgKoLZ1