New Look D750!

voxmagna

Nikon couldn't give me a focus distance readout, the lens ring engravings for focus and distance are poor and assume servo control. Working with DOF and hyperfocal distance is a real pain. I'm also using a laser distance measure with my cellphone DOF app, but that needs batteries and is a largish piece of kit to simply determine focus distance. One day Nikon should consider a firmware update to show focus distance real time, DOF for all lens settings would be really nice too. Focus distance is already there in advanced EXIF on saved images. Understanding and getting DOF right on these full frame pro cameras is more important than anything else. Live view zoom helps to check focus, but is hard to see in bright light and consumes battery.

The old Watameter split image rangefinder does the trick. No batteries, small, works in all light, fits the shoe when I'm not using external flash and doesn't take up much room in the bag. Mine like most is scaled in feet, but the DOF calculator app. converts. Cheap now on auction sites.

Attachments

• Rangefinder small.jpg
    Rangefinder small.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 101