About cleansing

Borga Voffe

In my old days of Nikon F3 I just wiped it and the lens with my handkerchief, the F3 was just happy with that, never got any sensordust on it :)

I reckon these pretty, sensitive cameras of today require a different cleansing? I mean on daily basis, I always use a UV filter to protect the lenses, do I neeed som fancy pricey lens cleaner liquids ??

benjinat17

I tend to think 'less is more' - I don't use chemicals on my lenses, just a blower and a soft polishing cloth. I am pretty careful about changing lenses, so there is little in the way of dust, grime, etc getting on the lenses.

I just haven't got any better results from using chemicals and liquids. I haven't attempted to clean my sensor yet, but that day will surely come!

ryan20fun

I just use a blower and brush that comes with a fingerprint/smudge cleaner.

You may need to buy a proper cleaning agent if the dirt won't easily come off.
AFAIK some lenses come with "delicate" coatings that are easy to damage.

HTH

480sparky

I generally use a microfiber lens cloth on the lens. Sometimes a drop of lens fluid for sticky fingerprints when needed.

But a caution about using clothes: They must be clean to start with. Don't just stuff one in your pocket and use it. It will pick up the lint and dirt in your pocket, and that will damage the lens coatings much faster than anything. And.......... don't think that just because your lens is now clean that the offending goop has now disappeared like a sock in your laundry. It still exists......... on the cloth. So, you must clean your cleaning clothes. I just use hot tap water (NO soap or detergent) in the kitchen sink, constantly soaking and squeezing the cloth 15-20 times, then lay out to air dry.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Lens Pen, Rocket Blower, and lens cloth.

Dishwasher for body.
*Just Kidding on this last statement in case someone takes it seriously.*
Ha!

Lens Pen, Rocket Blower, and lens cloth for the lens and only then when needed.

Eyelead Sensor Gel Stick for cleaning the sensor. This is not needed often at all as long as you are careful when changing your lens.

MaxBlake

With regards to cleaning, I've always had the feeling that less is better than more and that you should clean your camera body and lenses only when they tell you that they need cleaning.