Sigma 150-600mm Sport - First Impressions

BackdoorArts

Consider this a placeholder for an evolving set of impressions on this lens. I've spent more time looking at it and thinking about it than actually shooting with it so far. I'll save those observations for my first big post. I did take advantage of the beautiful day and went on the deck to do some bird shooting. Since I'm selling my D7100 and have the D500 on order I did the unusual and stuck it on my D750, locked the lens at 600mm (yes, you can lock at certain specific focal lengths - a great feature), set it on Manual at 1/1600s and f6.3 (wide open) with Auto ISO, and shot handheld - my "worst case scenario" test.

The weight takes some real getting used to. The zoom ring is in the Canon direction (i.e. the "wrong" way), which also messes with me (I forget if the 150-500mm is the same way). It's about 20% longer than the 150-500mm and contemporary version, and a little front heavy, so it's not an extremely comfortable lens handheld, but with the lock feature you can put your left arm beyond the zoom ring and not worry about changing zoom settings (though enough pressure and it unlocks as it's supposed to, and you can push/pull zoom). I've done nothing yet in terms of focus calibration, I just simply stuck it on the body. Focus locks quickly and accurately, and focus tracking is terrific. Image Stabilization seems very slightly less effective than with the 150-500 (some of that may just be me not used to the length and weight), but it also doesn't give me a huge CLUNK when it turns on and off.

Long story short, it's the IQ that I bought this thing for, and it delivers in spades. I'll give you one teaser, the 4th image in a continuous shooting burst, cropped and light adjusted, but no sharpening or clarity added - wide open at 600mm...

E75_4149.jpg

BackdoorArts

Still collecting data and impressions. Hooked it up to the dock yesterday and upgraded the firmware (lens shipped with v1.0 and is now on v1.3) which seems to have improved both focus and OS lock (initially I was underwhelmed with the effectiveness of the OS handheld at 600mm). There are two user custom settings on the lens that allow you to manipulate the aggressiveness of the OS and also the AF speed. I changed the OS first and the more aggressive setting (it's slightly slower to lock) really stabilized the lens while the other is less effective than the default, but this may work well on a monopod and engage more quickly (I can see using this setting for panning stability shooting sports or birds in flight). I suspect I'll eventually use the aggressive setting for both C1 & C2 and vary the focus which I'll test next week.

After shooting yesterday it became clear that the investment in this lens was definitely worth it for the gain in IQ. I've shot thousands of photos just like this one with the 150-500mm and never got this level of smoothness in my OOF areas. Bokeh for a zoom lens like this is outstanding from what I can see. This handheld shot is SOOC, not edits other than resizing for export.

20160326-D71_6033.jpg

And one with a little busier background. This is where I can really see the difference in the quality of the bokeh. On the 150-500mm the noise around the background branches would be soooo bad.

20160326-D71_6035.jpg

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Still playing around with the lens and getting used to the handholding. Full review will be forthcoming in the second half of the month after I get a chance to do a full set of focus tuning.

In the meantime I thought I'd share a couple Lightroom screen grabs of shots at 600mm, basic EXIF showing.

Here's a 100% shot with the D750 taken. Amazing detail at close range (and remember this is not focus tuned)...

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.36.00 AM.jpg

And here are a few at 200% taken at 600mm with the D7100. I cannot stress how small these planes were in the sky, but the last photo will give you an idea of how much of the frame fills at 600mm (900mm focal equivalent).

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.39.38 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.40.53 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.41.19 AM.jpg

Loving this lens.

Blacktop

@BackdoorHippie, I'm hoping you'll do some BIF tracking using your D7100 and your D750. I would like to the difference in your hands when it comes to locking focus in that situation.

It will also be interesting to compare the D500 to the D750 when it comes to tracking once you get that cam. Until then, happy shooting!

Elliot87

Looks good, I especially like the shot of the female cardinal (forgive me if that's not what it is, we don't get them here). Saying that I personally don't want this lens to be significantly better than the Nikon 200-500mm because that is heavy enough as it is. On the other hand they no longer seem to differ much in price and the extra range at each end would be nice. It seems I still don't know which lens I want next!

jay_dean

Looks good, I especially like the shot of the female cardinal (forgive me if that's not what it is, we don't get them here). Saying that I personally don't want this lens to be significantly better than the Nikon 200-500mm because that is heavy enough as it is. On the other hand they no longer seem to differ much in price and the extra range at each end would be nice. It seems I still don't know which lens I want next!
The difference between 500 and 600mm isn't that much really

Elliot87

True and that's why I've been leaning towards the Nikon, cheaper and lighter, plus potential to use with a 1.4xTC although I've seen mixed reviews. However if there's a significant gap in IQ (which I haven't seen so far) I'd be tempted by the sigma for sure.

BackdoorArts

On a DX camera it's 150mm. That's not insignificant, particularly when the IQ at the long end is as different as this is. I needed to pull back to 400mm to 450mm and shoot at f8 or f9 to get the sharpest images on the 150-500mm. On this I can lock it at 600mm, shoot at f6.3 (wide open) or f7.1 and get better IQ. It really, really is a big difference.

@BackdoorHippie, I'm hoping you'll do some BIF tracking using your D7100 and your D750. I would like to the difference in your hands when it comes to locking focus in that situation.

It will also be interesting to compare the D500 to the D750 when it comes to tracking once you get that cam. Until then, happy shooting!

I'm selling the D7100, so I'm being very judicial about how much I shoot with it. Suffice it to say you won't be getting a lot of testing with it.

BackdoorArts

Popping my head up after 9 days gone. Took the 150-600mm and D750 on a 5 mile wilderness trail hike while away. No tripod, no monopod, nothing but that combination. My muscles are sore, but it's a carry-able lens. Wish to God I'd had a DX body (D500 is due in 8 days - YAY!!).

Two things to note:
1. This lens works optimally with a gripped camera (damn, gonna have to soak another $400 in the D500 or wait for the 3d party stuff). as it
2. I need to rig some sort of strap system for this thing. I tried using the strap lugs in combination with these things as they allow me to use my current strap scheme, but the don't extend around the camera body far enough, and even if they did they don't pass around the body in any convenient form. I'm guessing I'm going to have to grab something for the tripod foot.

Elliot87

Let us know what you come up with strap wise. I've not taken my 200-500mm on a long hike yet but I reckon when I do I'll be wanting a better carrying solution than I have right now, which is essentially nothing.

BackdoorArts

I wound up cradling mine in my left arm like a baby for most of the hike. Other times I carried it using the tripod leg as a handle rotated to the top of the lens. Neither is ideal.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Glad to see you back.

It seems as if someone needs to create an entirely new product that will fasten to a tripod's foot. It would have the same female screw bottom as the bottom of the camera so it can be mounted onto a QR plate while also having a way to fasten a neck/shoulder strap to it for ease of carrying. That way it can be carried by a strap with a QR plate mounted to it at the same time.

BackdoorArts

Black Rapid has things like this. I have a Black Rapid "Fastnr" on a Manfrotto plate that I can use, and I have a Yeti strap that I'll likely try with it if I can get out for a hike this weekend. I'm really not a fan of cross-body straps, preferring something that hangs on one shoulder (I love my Domke straps with grip strips). I'm thinking that somewhere among everything I have I can rig up something, but it's going to have to wait for the weekend (as will the 3800 images I shot last week).

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Black Rapid has things like this. I have a Black Rapid "Fastnr" on a Manfrotto plate that I can use, and I have a Yeti strap that I'll likely try with it if I can get out for a hike this weekend. I'm really not a fan of cross-body straps, preferring something that hangs on one shoulder (I love my Domke straps with grip strips). I'm thinking that somewhere among everything I have I can rig up something, but it's going to have to wait for the weekend (as will the 3800 images I shot last week).

I looked at the Black Rapid Fastnr but it seems as though you still have to remove the camera strap before the QR plate gets mounted onto the tripod. I was wondering if something could be created that would allow a camera strap to be fastened to the tripod foot while simultaneously allowing a QR plate to be fastened to a tripod. I'm not sure if anything like that exists...yet. ;)

Sometimes I like wearing my strap on a shoulder while at other times I prefer having it cross my body. I use a Tamrac strap that fastens to a body's camera strap lugs but haven't found anything I like that fastens to the tripod mount.

Danno

I looked at the Black Rapid Fastnr but it seems as though you still have to remove the camera strap before the QR plate gets mounted onto the tripod. I was wondering if something could be created that would allow a camera strap to be fastened to the tripod foot while simultaneously allowing a QR plate to be fastened to a tripod. I'm not sure if anything like that exists...yet. ;)

Sometimes I like wearing my strap on a shoulder while at other times I prefer having it cross my body. I use a Tamrac strap that fastens to a body's camera strap lugs but haven't found anything I like that fastens to the tripod mount.

I went to a Peak Design strap because it has that flexibility and they had a size that fit me. I am a bit large, and the slide accommodates the sling on the side or front or even on shoulder. With my Nikon 200-500 I use the traditional sling connection points with the foot on the bottom and I turn the camera upside down and hold the tripod foot and adjust the slides for comfort. I basically have three points of contact so if I lose my grip the sling still has it and I have a quick connect on the foot to mount it to my monopod when I get set. This appears very similar to what you describe. @hark

strap setup.jpg

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I went to a Peak Design strap because it has that flexibility and they had a size that fit me. I am a bit large, and the slide accommodates the sling on the side or front or even on shoulder. With my Nikon 200-500 I use the traditional sling connection points with the foot on the bottom and I turn the camera upside down and hold the tripod foot and adjust the slides for comfort. I basically have three points of contact so if I lose my grip the sling still has it and I have a quick connect on the foot to mount it to my monopod when I get set. This appears very similar to what you describe. @hark

View attachment 207048

Thanks for the info, Danno. Maybe I'm not understanding you or perhaps you don't quite understand what I'm getting at, but for a heavy lens such as the 200-500mm, I'd definitely want the strap to attach to the tripod foot, not the camera strap lugs. BUT I still want to be able to attach a QR plate WHILE the straps are attached to the tripod foot. And I want to be able to use my strap of choice for these heavy lenses.

So I want something that attaches to the foot, allows a strap connection there plus MUST be able to attach to a QR plate at the same time.

Danno

Thanks for the info, Danno. Maybe I'm not understanding you or perhaps you don't quite understand what I'm getting at, but for a heavy lens such as the 200-500mm, I'd definitely want the strap to attach to the tripod foot, not the camera strap lugs. BUT I still want to be able to attach a QR plate WHILE the straps are attached to the tripod foot. And I want to be able to use my strap of choice for these heavy lenses.

So I want something that attaches to the foot, allows a strap connection there plus MUST be able to attach to a QR plate at the same time.

I do understand. I have a similar desire, but I have not been able to find anything like that. Given the condition my condition is in I do not like the transition form removing the strap to mounting the camerpa on a tripod or monopod. This was kind of the compromise I came up with. You have the Body secure and you hold onto the tripod foot. If I lose my grip I do not loos the camera and lens, and the strap will absorb the swing.

Spottydumplings

I do understand. I have a similar desire, but I have not been able to find anything like that. Given the condition my condition is in I do not like the transition form removing the strap to mounting the camerpa on a tripod or monopod. This was kind of the compromise I came up with. You have the Body secure and you hold onto the tripod foot. If I lose my grip I do not loos the camera and lens, and the strap will absorb the swing.

Hi All,

Is this the sort of thing that you are looking for?

Custom SLR M-Plate Pro Universal Tripod Plate System MLTPL8 B&H

or a couple of cheaper alternatives:

1/4 Quick Release Mounting Plate For Camera Rapid Shoulder Neck Sling Strap Belt | eBay
Amazon.com : Indigo Marble Adjustable Hinge Mounting Plate : Quickly Attach Your Camera Strap or Sling to your DSLR : Premium Quality, High Strength & Durable L-plate that Enables Easy & Secure Tripod Connection : Camera & Photo

Last edited: