Looking for a new camera

plhenk

6 or 7 years ago, my daughter needed a camera for school. She got a D3000, which I paid half for so I could use it as well. I had various point and shoots. And came from a Canon AE1 that I got probably 30 years ago.

So fast forward to now, my daughter pretty much has control of the D3000 24/7 now days, and I figure its time for me to get myself something.
I don't have one thing in particular I shoot, but mainly outdoors and sort of want to try getting some bird pictures. Hawks and Eagles............

Reading everything I can and talking to various people, I think I'll stay with Nikon. My nieces both have Canon T5i's and love them.

I was all set thinking about a D5500 Bundle, but now after reading here, it seems the general consensus is the D5300 is better if you don't need touch screen. Other than a cell phone or tablet, can't say I "NEED" a touch screen.

I would like a 300mm and debating between a bundle with an 18-50mm VR and a 50-300 VR (nikon), or the 18-140 (seems popular), and 70-300.
Budget is about $1k and of course I can talk myself out of anything to avoid spending an extra nickel!

I saw looking at these.

Amazon.com : Nikon D5300 DSLR Black Camera Body Celltime Exclusive Bundle with Nikon 18-140mm VR Lens + Nikon 70-300mm Lens + HD U.V. Filter + Deluxe Camera Case + Celltime 6pc Starter Kit + Full Size Tripod + Electronic Flash + 2pcs 16GB Commander E

or

Amazon.com : Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera Body (Black) with 18-140mm VR & 70-300mm Zoom Lens + 32GB Card + Case + Flash + Battery Kit : Camera & Photo

I'm thinking I need a VR lens for shooting 300mm?

Thoughts, ideas? Anyplace that would give a better price? Honestly I don't need all the extra stuff in the bundle. I have a few tripods and things.

Thanks
Paul

nickt

Are you familiar with grey market cameras? (no US warranty). The first link might be grey. Its coming from an Amazon marketplace seller who is not an authorized Nikon dealer. The seller might include his own warranty. Nikon might not service it after the warranty. If you want to buy from Amazon and want the Nikon US warranty, look for "ships and sold by Amazon". Or look to see who the seller is and check the Nikon list.

The 2nd link is from Cameta. They are an authorized dealer, but I don't care for the bundle. I do like the 18-140 + 70-300. The 18-55 + 55-300 is awkward in my opinion. You can be very happy walking around all day with the 18-140 and not carrying anything else and save the big lens for when you really need it. With the 18-55, you will feel like you must bring the other lens with you. Then you will probably leave one or the other on the camera anyway to not bother changing lenses while walking around. Been there, done that.

And finally, the Cameta bundle has the cheaper Tamron 70-300. No vr. Tamron has two 70-300's, the SP line is better. The less expensive Tamron in this kit does have a macro setting, so that is a plus, but I would rather have the SP for image quality. The tripod will be junk for sure. Don't know about the flash, probably. The Tamron is worth about $150, the spare battery $12, the remote $5, hdmi cable $5.

I would decide if you want that particular Tamron lens, then price up the extras in the kit that you would actually want. You might find you are paying $50 more for a bunch of stuff you wont use or quickly replace.

The camera + 18-140 goes for about about $800 right now. It won't vary much at all among legitimate dealers. Any price significantly below that is either grey or a red flag. Some dealers advertise a really great unbeatable price. Then you get the phone call to sell you something else.

Horoscope Fish

{Excellent Response, Clipped for Brevity}
I agree completely with nickt's excellent response; he nailed it.

I too would suggest the D5300 over the D5500 since you say you definitely don't want/need the touch screen. My girlfriend shoots with a D5300, and having seen what it can do over a period of almost exactly two years (it was a birthday present I got her) I've come to appreciate just how good a camera the D5300 is. I'd suggest you find a D5300, kitted with the 18-140mm zoom, and call it a day. That would be a superb starting combination for just about anyone. If you decide you want a bigger, badder zoom, come talk to us and we'll steer you in the right direction.

plhenk

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.
B&H has a package with the 18-50 & 50-300 lens, (both Nikon VR)
For $850.
Or for $1040 lose the 18-50 and get the 18-140.

The "cheaper" is bundled with a bag, card, etc.......

Chances are if we're out hiking, I'd want the 300 reach so locally I'd only take that.

Also someone mentioned a Crop camera? Something about the affective reach of a 300 is more like a 450 or something? I didn't really understand.

Horoscope Fish

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.
B&H has a package with the 18-50 & 50-300 lens, (both Nikon VR)
For $850.

The "cheaper" is bundled with a bag, card, etc.......

Chances are if we're out hiking, I'd want the 300 reach so locally I'd only take that.

Also someone mentioned a Crop camera? Something about the affective reach of a 300 is more like a 450 or something? I didn't really understand.
The Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G is an okay lens in my book. Very good for what you're paying but then you're not really paying that much. It's not constant aperture, it's not particularly fast, it's not particularly sharp or contrast-y. Oh, and the lens hood sucks. Still, while not a great lens it is a *good* lens, and if you're okay with that you'll probably be quite happy with it.

Then we come to the DX "Crop Factor" thing. IMO, this is something people get waaaaay too hung up on. Here is an excellent article on the issue that will explain everything from our friends at Photography Life: What is Crop Factor?

nickt

That sounds like the d5500 for $1040. The d5300 with 140 is around $800
Nikon D5300 DSLR Camera with 18-140mm Lens (Black) 13303 B&H

I really think the 140 is a nicer lens than the 18-55. Its handy to have that extra reach right on your camera when you need it. It has a metal mount too, the 18-55 is plastic.
You still might want a zoom.
This is the one I have:
Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Telephoto AFA005NII-700 B&H
I like it, great lens. It might push you over budget though.

All of the Nikon d3x00, d5x00, d7x00 are crop sensor. The sensor is smaller than 35mm film. The picture gets enlarged to standard size, so you get a crop and zoom effect. In the end, you get a field of view similar to a lens 1.5 longer. So 140 will look like a 210 on your old camera and the 300 will look like a 450mm. There are some threads here explaining that better with diagrams.

RobV

Keep in mind that if the [Nikon] lens says "DX" on it, there is no "free" 1.5x magnification.
A 300mm DX lens is truly 300mm.

I am not sure about this, but I believe DX lenses are generally smaller and less expensive than their full frame counterpart.

nickt

Keep in mind that if the [Nikon] lens says "DX" on it, there is no "free" 1.5x magnification.
A 300mm DX lens is truly 300mm.

I am not sure about this, but I believe DX lenses are generally smaller and less expensive than their full frame counterpart.
No, 300mm is 300mm. A dx lens is just made less expensively. If you use a fx lens on dx, the extra image is cast outside the sensor. Extra glass and design work wasted. The dx lens doesn't design for the larger sensor, so less glass and cheap. the image cast is still the same as far as the dx sensor is concerned.
edit: just to clarify, you get the 1.5 effect on a crop sensor with either fx or dx lens.

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

So I was wrong in my statements?
Please let me know. I've only been doing this since last September.

I think it is generally confusing.
@plhenk
It is obvious you are tying to get a full set-up and want to shoot wildlife within a specified budget. Maybe the birding folks here can make a suggestion or 2 for you. They might suggest some used equipment if you don't mind going that route.

skene

What I would also look into are refurb deals on cameras as you can usually pick up a good deal on those as well. IF you are not too hung up on a touch screen, and you are looking for a newish camera, you may also want to look into the D7100 as it will allow for greater flexibility. The 7100 does have a focus motor so you would not have to rely on lenses that have the focus motor built in (ie AF-S) and you are open to all of Nikon's AF lenses.
Stepping up to the 7100 also allows for greater control on the images you take as common camera controls are at your fingertips vs menu based changes. This also does have the same 24mp sensor, so there is not much sacrificing there.

plhenk

I pulled the trigger on a package from Andromeda. D5300 with 18-55/55-300 lenses.
Got a back pack, since we hike alot.

Also I'm going to try the Canon FD to Nikon F Adapter and play with some of the old manual 35mm film lens my Father left.
One in particular is a Vivatar 400mm with a 2x converter I had used back in the film days. I remember using that for B&W class shooting the moon which came out awesome.
If it works great, if not, it was only $35 for the try.

RobV

I pulled the trigger on a package from Andromeda. D5300 with 18-55/55-300 lenses.
Got a back pack, since we hike alot.

Also I'm going to try the Canon FD to Nikon F Adapter and play with some of the old manual 35mm film lens my Father left.
One in particular is a Vivatar 400mm with a 2x converter I had used back in the film days. I remember using that for B&W class shooting the moon which came out awesome.
If it works great, if not, it was only $35 for the try.
I am curious, with a history of Canon, why you choose Nikon when it came to buy a digital camera?

My old days were Minolta, myself, but they have ceased to be an option.

I was back and forth, having no one in my life to guide me. I think it came down to preferring Nikon's model naming over Canon. With a little help from extensive product placement by the producers of the television show NCIS, of course! :)