D500 for sports

Welshy74

A little confused with the release of the D500. I thought that with your camera you should look at great glass i.e FX lenses, meaning they are better than their DX equivalent. My question is that if you use FX lenses like I do 70-200 2.8 with my D7200 you arent getting the best out of the lens using a DX body. I will be in the future looking to upgrade to D750 or similar but as I shoot sports the higher fps is very appealing. Confused!!!!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Using the 70-200 with a D500 would bring you the best for sports: better reach (DX crop), more frames per second, better autofocus, and, using the better part of the lens coverage (DX crop= less vignetting and distortion).

If you shoot sports, the D500 is your best bet.

BackdoorArts

Glass is glass, cameras are cameras, two parts of the whole. The great part of shooting cropped is that 1) you can use all available glass for cropped or full frame sensors, 2) great DX glass is about 1/2 the price of great FX glass (look at the Sigma 18-35mm and 50-100mm f1.8 zooms), 3) you get a 50% bump in focal length which makes them indispensable for sports and wildlife, and 4) the bodies run about 30-50% cheaper than their FX counterparts.

The D500, once released, will be Nikon's pro sports body, something they've been behind the development curve on for about 3-4 years.

Welshy74

Thanks both. Will probably trade in my D7200 for the D500 eventually. Quite bizarre here in the UK though that the D810 is now the same price as the D500

BackdoorArts

Thanks both. Will probably trade in my D7200 for the D500 eventually. Quite bizarre here in the UK though that the D810 is now the same price as the D500

Just need to say that the D7200 isn't too shabby a sports camera either. Yes, it's 6 fps vs. 10, the new focus system looks amazing, you probably lose about 1 stop of light noise, and you don't have that incredible buffer size. But you do gain about 20% in resolution. What I'm saying is that unless you need those advantages I suspect the D7200 might serve you just fine and you could invest the $$ in glass instead.

Just a thought. If you're not shooting a ton of sports at high frame rates and really low light you could be good.

carguy

Using the 70-200 with a D500 would bring you the best for sports: better reach (DX crop), more frames per second, better autofocus, and, using the better part of the lens coverage (DX crop= less vignetting and distortion).

If you shoot sports, the D500 is your best bet.

Glass is glass, cameras are cameras, two parts of the whole. The great part of shooting cropped is that 1) you can use all available glass for cropped or full frame sensors, 2) great DX glass is about 1/2 the price of great FX glass (look at the Sigma 18-35mm and 50-100mm f1.8 zooms), 3) you get a 50% bump in focal length which makes them indispensable for sports and wildlife, and 4) the bodies run about 30-50% cheaper than their FX counterparts.

The D500, once released, will be Nikon's pro sports body, something they've been behind the development curve on for about 3-4 years.

Sums up my thoughts as well. I'm very attracted to the D500 personally. I can see a Nikon refurb in my future late 2016 perhaps :)