Noise & Sharpness with D7200

niknak612

Hi. I just got a 7200 a few months ago. I previously had the D7000 and absolutely loved it. I had two kit lenses with the 7000 and used the 18-105mm most often. I had awesome results and no complaints.

When I bought my 7200 I sold the 700 with that lens (the lens was broken anyway). I bought an 18-200mm Nikon lens that was recommended to me with the 7200. That is the lens that I've been using primarily now.

I'm finding that my photos with the 7200 are much grainier, noisier, and just in general less sharp than what I'm used to. I tend to use auto majority of the time, as I did with the 7000. I feel like I must have a setting or something wrong? Any suggestions? I'm not sure what. I've tried playing around with settings a bit, but I'm an amateur photographer and I'm just not seeming to be able to get it right.

Any help with reducing noise and increasing sharpness would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
First off @niknak612, welcome to the forum. If you could upload a photo or two that illustrate your problem, it would probably help with solving your problem.

Welcome to the forum.

Show us a example of one from the D7000 and one with the problem from the D7200. I suspect that you have a high ISO with the D7200. Shooting in AUTO is not necessarily the best way to shoot since you have no control at all of how it shoots. I also assume that you are shooting JPEG- Fine instead of shooting in RAW? If you are shooting in JPEG there are a few adjustments you can make to get a little more sharpness and I will add that at the end of this post.

this is how you need to upload the photos so that we can see the information we need. Also give us the EXIF data of each photo. (EXIF = Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO) this will help us help you.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

If you are shooting JPG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness.

Go into your Menus and highlight the "Shooting" menu (the camera icon)

Drop down to "Picture Controls" and click right one time.

From here, highlight "Standard" and then click right one time.

From this settings menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting to "7".

Drop down and increase the "Saturation" setting +1 notch on the slider.

Press "OK" to exit the menus and you're done.

egosbar

try setting your auto iso to max 400 , i shoot with the d7100 and 800 and over gives a fair bit of noise but can be controlled with noise reducing software , wherever possibly unless you want grain its best to shoot at iso 100 although that camera should handle iso 800 easy enough without a lot of noise but i havent shot with it

you could do this using user 1 for example and if you cant get the exposure on 400 or under then turn it back to auto and let it decide or try shooting a more semi manual or manual mode

BackdoorArts

Something isn't right. The D7200 should be a good two stops better with ISO noise (ie. noise at ISO 800 on the D7000 will be similar to ISO 3200 on the D7200). I'd need to see examples and know whether you're shooting RAW or JPEG, and if the latter what settings you do or do not have turned on in the Shooting Menu, and what you have them set to.

As for sharpness, I know from experience with the D7100 that the lack of OLPF in the filter stack provides a noted increase in sharpness, so it shouldn't be the camera. So while I will not blame the lens I will say that I know folks who aren't thrilled with the sharpness 18-200mm. It will depend on the shot, but I suspect that wide open at 200mm is going to be on the soft side. The 18-105mm is a great little kit lens and I prefer it to any of the other 18-xxx zooms Nikon makes, so I'm going to lean on the new lens being the culprit. Again, it would help to see examples with EXIF data available.

niknak612

Thank you all so much for your responses. I don't have my camera with me right now to try any of the suggestions. I will upload some pictures when I am at home in front of my computer.

I shoot in JPEG (I haven't figured out how to edit RAW yet, though it's on my list of things to learn).

I did wonder if it was the lens, but then it was recommended to me by someone in the field as a great lens. I just was very disappointed when I saw the sharpness/noise of the photos because I thought it would be better than my 7000 if anything. Certainly not worse.

Having had the D7000 and the D7100 at the same time I can tell you that the D7100 is much sharper and better at higher ISO. The wife shot with the D7000 while I shot with the D7100. We shot the same things at the same time so it was a pretty good test of how the 2 cameras compared. Now the differences. When I upgraded from the D7000 to the D7100 I was using the 18-140 and she had the 18-200 on the D5100. She likes the 18-200 so that she had more reach without having to change lenses. I was able to see the difference in sharpness when the lens was changed from the 18-140 to the 18-200. Not nearly as sharp and the setting were the same since I set her camera up for her for shooting.

My observation is that the 18-200 is just not as sharp as the 18-140 or 18-105

My observation is also that the D7100 is much sharper than the D7000 with the same lens, settings and shooter.

Since you are shooting JPEG for now please be sure and read my post about about

"If you are shooting JPEG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness."

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d7200/35710-noise-sharpness-d7200.html#ixzz43YkKuwDQ

niknak612

Hi,

I meant to upload these sooner, but it's just been crazy. I'm not sure if there's maybe something not right with my D7200 since I purchased it. I just can't seem to get it to be anywhere near as sharp as my D7000. The photos appear sharp, but as soon as I zoom in, the sharpness is just not there.

I'm hoping that if this is a defect, I will be able to get the camera replaced, or if it's something that I'm doing wrong, someone can help.

The first photo is from my D7000. The second is from my D7200

DSC_2784.jpgDSC_2784 - Version 2.jpgDSC_2144.jpgDSC_2144 - Version 2.jpg
DSC_2065.jpgDSC_2065 - Version 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

I meant to upload these sooner, but it's just been crazy. I'm not sure if there's maybe something not right with my D7200 since I purchased it. I just can't seem to get it to be anywhere near as sharp as my D7000. The photos appear sharp, but as soon as I zoom in, the sharpness is just not there.

I'm hoping that if this is a defect, I will be able to get the camera replaced, or if it's something that I'm doing wrong, someone can help.

The first photo is from my D7000. The second is from my D7200

View attachment 215515View attachment 215516View attachment 215517View attachment 215518
View attachment 215520View attachment 215519

Have you fine tuned the lens yet? IF not then google fine tune and do it. Depending on the lens this can have a big effect on sharpness.

Are you shooting JPG? I assume since you are on auto the you probably are shooting JPG only. IF so then follow the instruction below and it will help a lot.

If you are shooting JPG I would suggest that you use the Fine>>Large setting and also set your camera for better sharpness.

Go into your Menus and highlight the "Shooting" menu (the camera icon)

Drop down to "Picture Controls" and click right one time.

From here, highlight "Standard" and then click right one time.

From this settings menu, increase the "Sharpness" setting to "7".

Drop down and increase the "Saturation" setting +1 notch on the slider.

Press "OK" to exit the menus and you're done.