I am soo happy!

Borga Voffe

Back in the 1980ies, I was crawling around, taking close up photos of Norwegian mountain flowers. Using my Nikon F3 and my nikkor 55 micro lens Got superb results on Kodachrome 25

.... then came the new century and the era of digital compacts. I sold the F3 in 2002, got an Canon G3, got kind of happy.

Now, last month, on pure nostalgia. I bought a Nikon d7200 just for fun, suppose I have to much money, Im old and retired

Fantastic! My old Nikkor lenses, like 43 86 zoom (the good 1982 ver) and that old workhorse of mine, the superb Nikkor 105 2.8 micro works BETTER on my new d7200!!!!

I get pin point exposure, I get focus aid / these old ais lenses shall never be sold, They work better than ever :)

Q; What settings should I apply in my d7200 to get the most of the 105 micro? Should I assign a U with a special set ?

That 43 86 might not be used, as I hve just bought two cheap zoom lenses, the Tokina 12-28 and Nikkor 18-140. Very curious about how these modern hi tech gadgets will work in the field

im a landscape photogr, not pro, I am just walking around in the Norwegian mountains photographing the scenery and the flowers.

EDIT;
I am a botanist. Got my MD in 1986. Systematic Botany. Thats why I am "crawling around" I had this "obsession" to get a decent photo of every plant species in Norway. Now, being retired, I have settled just the mountain flowers.

Last edited:

paul14086

I can't answer your question, but I'm glad your happy with the d7200. I have one and am loving it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Danno

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you are happy with the D7200. I love mine. It is kind of tough to make suggestions on how to set the camera without knowing your goals. But it you will post some of your photos and let us know what you are looking for there are a lot of folks here that are really talented and would be willing to offer suggestions.

nickt

It sounds like you know your macro shooting from the old days. I'll just add that some of us use flash even out in the daylight so we can get a more crisp shot and use a higher aperture. There are several threads here on home made diffusers using a piece of foam. Next I will mention auto iso. If I am NOT using flash and hand holding for macro, I lock in a shutter and aperture in manual and use that with auto iso turned on. The iso will go as high as it needs to expose with the manual settings that you locked it. Dont use auto iso with flash though. No need for auto iso on a tripod either, you might as well lock in a nice low iso.

I don't set my U's to keep fancy settings. Too hard to keep track of. If you tweak a setting and go back later it reverts to what you saved and not the more recent if you didn't re-save it. So I use my U's for more basic things. General settings to hand the camera to someone else. I use back button focus so that is confusing to my wife so U1 reverts to shutter button focus. U2 is a general wildlife setting in case bigfoot shows up and I am too nervous to tweak settings. Have fun!

Borga Voffe

image.jpeg

This is Pinguicula villosa, a rare butterwort speciws. This is two large plants, one is seven cm tall, the smaller is approx four cm. AF of my old days would never do, I had to do manual focus. This also clarifies why I litterally hate every use of flash. That will destroy the background, that red Sphagnum russowi moss, is the key to find this particular butterwort in situ.
This was back in 1996. With my F3 and 55 micro.

Wonder how I will do this in 2016. With d7200 and 105 micro ??

Bill16

From a look at this photo, it seems you should do fine. I would suggest setting your sharpness to about 7 in your camera settings unless you shoot raw. Nikon cameras seem a bit soft and needs the sharpness increased to fix that issue.
I would suggest also that you don't completely dismiss using a flash when needed.a slight adjustment in saturation in post processing can help correct a pale background.

But all in all I'm liking your shot!:)

View attachment 203617

This is Pinguicula villosa, a rare butterwort speciws. This is two large plants, one is seven cm tall, the smaller is approx four cm. AF of my old days would never do, I had to do manual focus. This also clarifies why I litterally hate every use of flash. That will destroy the background, that red Sphagnum russowi moss, is the key to find this particular butterwort in situ.
This was back in 1996. With my F3 and 55 micro.

Wonder how I will do this in 2016. With d7200 and 105 micro ??