Ta Phrom Temple

lorenbrothers

x_IMG_1611.jpg

x_IMG_1589.jpg

rocketman122

very nice places. exposure seems off on both. two dark in the first and too bright in the 2nd. the first could have used a bit of off camera flash fill and in the 2nd pic, could you have possibly added a flash from one side to the other? meaning the inside right side shooting to the left and the left side shooting to the right?

lorenbrothers

very nice places. exposure seems off on both. two dark in the first and too bright in the 2nd. the first could have used a bit of off camera flash fill and in the 2nd pic, could you have possibly added a flash from one side to the other? meaning the inside right side shooting to the left and the left side shooting to the right?

1st photograph: This was taken at one of the most photographed sites in the temple (boyfriend snaps pic of girlfriend in front of tree) so to start with I had to work around 1,000 tourists to even get a shot. I wanted to get a different type of photograph though. So I used my 24-70mm lens to grab the whole tree from 70' away. Of course the very bright sky blew the rest of the detail out. Cropped, sharpened, and converted to B/W. Adjusted the contrast heavily. From there I was able lighten the whole frame without blowing out the sky even more. It is dark and moody ... but that is the effect I was looking for. Not an average tourist snap at Ta Phrom! Ansel Adams would have loved it. ;)

2nd Photograph: Taken from 50' away (no flash work from that distance ;) ) and cropped down. Sharpened slightly and converted to B/W. WYSIWYG. True to life. It is what I saw. (The difference between an artist and a technician in my opinion)

I do see your observations but it isn't what I look to achieve in my photographs. I do appreciate your comments though.

Last edited:

rocketman122

1000 tourists? damn you got a good clean shot for 1000 tourists. thats quite the catch. when I have a very contrasty scene, I use active D lighting to get a wider dynamic range. or you can shoot raw and bring back shadows and do highlight recovery

but something like this.

NKT_7551 copy.jpg