Astro photography

Steve Elliott

Good evening from a newbie here.......

I need help please and advice. I have bought a spotter to use with my 3300 and take photos, but I am sorry to say I do not understand stops, iso, or much else to go with things, but love the camera and really want to understand better as everything I do with the spotter has to be manual.... the easiest thing I can manage is FOCUS!!

I would love and appreciate, layman's language in breaking down the understanding of these things to do with exposure and light would be so much appreciated.

At least then I could make up my own "cheat" card as it were to refer to when going out and about hopefully.

The help, advice and expertise of all of you is very much appreciated..... Thank you

nickt

Welcome. Tough to teach you all that in a post. The real quick version is that shutter speed and aperture and iso come together to 'cook' a proper exposure. We call it the exposure triangle. You can change whichever parameter you need to, but the others need to change to keep the balance. It comes down to an amount of light for a specified time and sensor sensitivity. Shutter is the time, aperture throttles the light and iso decides how sensitive your camera is to light. Each of these parameters gives a benefit as well as a possible side effect.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8T94sdiNjc

Read this:
Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

Learn these concepts before attempting to understand your owners manual. The manual will make more sense if you do it that way. Come back and ask questions.