Exposure Issue on D810

poppedcollards

I'm having issues with my Exposure Compensation. I'm shooting in Manual Mode and for some reason when I adjust the exposure with the exposure button it has no effect on the image. I've adjusted a few settings recently and went through everything I adjusted and couldn't figure out why exposure adjustments aren't working. When I hold the button and turn the dial to adjust everything looks normal and the light meter even adjusts as I'm scrolling. It just isn't having any effect on the image. If I switch to auto and make adjustments to the Exposure via the button/dial it adjusts as it should. Any assistance with this would be welcomed and very much appreciated.

Sidenote: I have Darrell Young's Mastering the Nikon D810. I've tried to reference his material to correct my issue but have had no luck

Thanks

Needa

Challenge Team
Welcome! While I shoot manual I don't thin I will be much help as I don't use exposure compensation. I do have several question that may help other help you. What type of metering are you using spot, matrix Center weighted. You also stated that when you set the exposure compensation you see the meter adjust. Do you then recenter the meter? Also posting an image with exif data may be helpful.

poppedcollards

Hey thanks for the reply, I mostly use 3D Colour Matrix metering. I'm not re centering the meter as it adjusts and that's part of the reason I'm concerned about there being no change in the image. I'm manually adjusting my ISO and have my WB set to Auto most of the time. I don't adjust the exposure often so it's not affecting my shooting but I will use it in certain situations to avoid blown out areas in an image. In those situations I adjust the lighting later with PS. I just can't figure out why it's functioning normally in Auto Mode and no longer working in Manual mode. I'll post an image soon

Thanks

Geoffc

Exposure compensation has no effect in manual mode as you are in charge of ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Adjust one of those to change the exposure. This is the same on all Nikon cameras and no doubt everything else as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fred Kingston

I just tested my D600, and it does the same thing... in M mode... the only thing that seems to change significantly ( I tested by taking a shot with/without +2 exp) is Aperture mode... the speed dropped (slower) by 2 stops with +2 exp dialed in.(which correctly over-exposed by 2 stops).. S Mode also didn't change the images...

I wouldn't know what to expect in Auto mode as I never use it...

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I'll add my uneducated two cents. In manual mode, you are really not adjusting the exposure with EC, only how the exposure meter reads the scene. In manual mode you will have control over the shutter speed, aperture and ISO unless it is set to Auto ISO (which I think you said you are not using Auto ISO).
Now how much are you changing the EC +/-? If only 1/3 stop, you may not see much difference. If 1 to 2 stops + or - the meter should show. Then you will need to adjust shutter speed, aperture or ISO manually for you exposure. I will look at my stuff (camera) in a little bit to see if I have explained this correctly, Ha!

Needa

Challenge Team
In manual mode as I understand exposure compensation just moves the meter. So if you don't adjust the the aperture, iso or shutter speed you have made no change. In auto mode when you set exposure compensation the camera changes one of these setting for you.

poppedcollards

What I'm gathering from all the people who responded to this makes sense to me. I thought maybe the EC was something that could be utilized in addition to Shutter/Aperture/ISO adjustments made in M Mode. For the life of me I really thought I'd used the EC to adjust the Exposure in Manual Mode but in all actuality I probably have not. Thanks for the insight from all who contributed to this thread. My mind is at ease and I can obsess over other things now ;).

Thanks!!

nickt

Exposure compensation will change the exposure for you in manual mode IF you also turn on auto iso. Otherwise, manual is manual. EC wont be able to change shutter or aperture, but iso can change to suit your EC if it is set to auto iso.

litrattonijuan

In M mode you'll still need to adjust aperture, speed or iso to bring light meter to 0 after you dialed +/- EC to affect the image. EC will not do it for you in Manual with auto iso off.