Memory Card

Mike150

I'm trying to figure out if I can upgrade my SD memory card. I'd like to get a Class 10 if the D60 will handle it. I read the manual, and I quote.

"The following memory cards have been tested and approved for use in the D60. All cardsof the designated make and capacity can be used, regardless of speed."​

It then lists various size cards from different manufacturers, listing sizes up to 4G. Panasonic was the only 8G mfgr listed. I'm using a PNY 8G Class 4 right now and have experienced delays after a burst of shots in continuous mode. I'm assuming it's while writing to mem card.

I'm going to need as fast a card as I can get for an upcoming Naval Air show. An FA18C Super Hornet and the Blue Angels move pretty quickly and I will be using the continuous shooting mode. I'm thinking that the faster I can get data written to the card, the sooner I'll be able to shoot another sequence.

I would like to upgrade to an 8G Class 10.

Any of you have any thoughts on whether I should go for it or not?

Thanks

Rick M

I use 2 4G PNY professional class 10 cards with my D3100. I have never experienced any delay. I prefer 2 4g cards over 1 8G, for organizational reasons and if one failed I have the other as Backup (never had any fail, but you never know).

FoxRacer2

I have a 4gb pny card that came with my camera. Awesome card, hasn't given me problems yet, knock on wood***

I have heard anything bigger might cause problems for shooting unless your doing video.

Last edited:

Browncoat

I'm thinking that the faster I can get data written to the card, the sooner I'll be able to shoot another sequence.

Any of you have any thoughts on whether I should go for it or not?

Check out my memory card guide. As for your other concerns:

8G was probably top of the line for SD cards when the D60 was introduced. You might want to consider upgrading to a 16G or even a 32G, because the cost difference isn't that much these days.

Your camera has an internal buffer that can fill up with data. The optimal memory card will meet or exceed your camera's write speed. Camera=write, card=read. However, it can be very difficult to locate credible information on write speeds, so don't bother looking for it.

Yes, fast-action sequencing is limited by 3 things:

• Camera FPS
  • Camera write speed
  • Memory card read speed
If your camera is "locking up" after 5-8 continuous shots, it's probably because your card isn't fast enough. A Class 8 or 10 will definitely show an improvement.

My D300s shoots 8 FPS (I have the grip w/ upgraded batteries). I use the Kingston C10 card listed in my guide. Even shooting RAW @ max FPS, I've never had to wait on my camera's buffer. The D60 is 3 FPS if I remember right. Honestly, and this is just my personal opinion, I think a Class 10 card might be a bit of overkill. I would think a Class 8 would be plenty fast, but I could be wrong.

Joseph Bautsch

The maximum speed SDHC card approved by Nikon for this camera is class 6. The "camera wright speed" will not go any faster. A class 8 or even a class 10 will work in the camera but the camera will not write any faster than what you can get with a class 6. I would recommend buying the best quality SDHC class 6 card you can afford.

fotojack

Silvertip, for what it's worth, I use Lexar 4GB Platinum II 80x CF cards, and have never had a problem with them. I have 4 of these and 1 8GB card. I would be interested to see a writeup of Kingston cards, just for the fact that they're all I use in my computers. Kingston RAM, that is. I actually didn't know they made CF cards......if in fact they do. I'm going to Google this right now. :)

Rick M

Really good high speed cards are only a few dollars more than slower cheaper ones. Unless you never intend to get a faster camera (Newer upgrade), I would get the best and fastest you can. If you do get a newer camera someday, you won't have to buy faster cards again.

Last edited: