A matter of opinion?...........

"CHRIS"

If this question has been asked, and it probably has, I apologize in advance. When, or what, would you consider "over the line" as far as post processing is concerned? With such advancements in this field, how easy is it to manipulate an image, so much so that the original is simply gone? I, being a beginner, have been trying to get used to Nikon Capture....but already see what can be done with these images! However, I have woken up the next morning, after PP, and said to myself, "That wasn't what the grass, sky, etc. looked like!" "This is kind of "phony" looking!" I suppose my question is, when does "a damn good shot" become "some damn good PP software" instead? Or is there no line to be crossed...and beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. Are there purists who scoff at PP? or is it accepted throughout the photography world as part of the deal.......art to a degree? Thanks guys and gals:)

Horoscope Fish

If this question has been asked, and it probably has, I apologize in advance. When, or what, would you consider "over the line" as far as post processing is concerned? With such advancements in this field, how easy is it to manipulate an image, so much so that the original is simply gone? I, being a beginner, have been trying to get used to Nikon Capture....but already see what can be done with these images! However, I have woken up the next morning, after PP, and said to myself, "That wasn't what the grass, sky, etc. looked like!" "This is kind of "phony" looking!" I suppose my question is, when does "a damn good shot" become "some damn good PP software" instead? Or is there no line to be crossed...and beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. Are there purists who scoff at PP? or is it accepted throughout the photography world as part of the deal.......art to a degree? Thanks guys and gals:)
Yes, it's a matter of opinion. Most everyone HAS an opinion on this topic and some will be more strongly held and/or voiced than others, rest assured.

That being said, I think you're asking a question only you can answer for yourself.

"CHRIS"

Yes, it's a matter of opinion. Most everyone HAS an opinion on this topic and some will be more strongly held and/or voiced than others, rest assured.

That being said, I think you're asking a question only you can answer for yourself.

Gotcha. Every fence has two sides....and even a top, for the undecided to perch. Personally, I can see where it could get out of hand easily. Thank you.

dck22

I will offer my opinion for what it may be worth. It depends. It depends on the type or purpose of the shot. A photograph taken to show actual facts, ie. photojournalism or sports should have minimal editing and adjustment. Certainly nothing that would bring the veracity of the image into question. One taken strictly for artistic pleasure should be able to be worked until the photographer is pleased with his work of art.

As I said, this is simply my opinion and philosophy. It can be taken or ignored by others, but need not be scorned.

Bill16

Very well said, and it fits my thoughts on this topic too! :D

I will offer my opinion for what it may be worth. It depends. It depends on the type or purpose of the shot. A photograph taken to show actual facts, ie. photojournalism or sports should have minimal editing and adjustment. Certainly nothing that would bring the veracity of the image into question. One taken strictly for artistic pleasure should be able to be worked until the photographer is pleased with his work of art.

As I said, this is simply my opinion and philosophy. It can be taken or ignored by others, but need not be scorned.

"CHRIS"

This is the best answer to this topic that I have read yet! Lol :D

LOL, I doubt that Bill.........but it's too late to argue with you:) I just find it an interesting topic, considering the effects that PP can have on an image. Hope you are well, Bill.

Bill16

Thank you very much my friend for asking. I'm holding up and trying to have positive attitude. :)

LOL, I doubt that Bill.........but it's too late to argue with you:) I just find it an interesting topic, considering the effects that PP can have on an image. Hope you are well, Bill.

I used to overwork my shots but have since learned that sometimes less is more. I try to keep as close to original as possible as long as it comes out to the way I saw the scene. I generally have no problem removing something from a scene like a person or garbage can if it gets in my way but normally I try not to add anything that was not there. I might move it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"CHRIS"

I used to overwork my shots but have since learned that sometimes less is more. I try to keep as close to original as possible as long as it comes out to the way I saw the scene. I generally have no problem removing something from a scene like a person or garbage can if it gets in my way but normally I try not to add anything that was not there. I might move it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like this approach. Well said.

Craig Rogers

I think it depends on what you are trying to achieve from the photo and what the subject matter is.

I mainly shoot wildlife/nature and editing a photo is one thing, manipulation is another.

For instance, I sometimes see photos where a catch-light has been added to an eye of an animal because there wasn't one. This is very different to me grabbing a highlight brush and enhancing a catch-light that is already there.

Another example, if there is something in the photo that is distracting, maybe a clump of grass that is a different colour that pulls the eye away from the main subject then yes, I probably would remove this with content aware in Photoshop. Cheating? Maybe, but that's something that I wouldn't be able to control in the original framing. However, changing the entire background to something else because the photo was shot against a building? Possibly too much. Although acceptable if you are honest about it afterwards.

Adding anything into a shot, then that's something very different and not something I would entertain, unless it was artistic, but then I'd make sure people knew about it.

Personally for me, I think adding an artistic element to photography in post is perfectly acceptable providing you are not trying to mislead and are honest about it.

I was recently was out photographing Short Eared Owls and this shot below was taken into the sunrise, did it look anything like this shot? No, not really but for me, it's adding a little artistic approach to make more of an impact to the viewer. However, I think that most people would realise and accept that to produce this image, it will be processed in post to achieve it. I did, however, take the shot with the intention to create this effect.

Short Eared Owl (Backlit) by Craig Rogers, on Flickr

In the example of the OP, it's a fine line. If a photo looks a lot better by not actually looking exactly what you remember it looking like different shade of grass for example, as long as you are not trying to heavily mis-lead the viewer, then I'm guessing it's ok within reason.

These are just my thoughts and some may or may not agree, which is why the subject is difficult to say what is right and what is wrong? I guess the answer is neither.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

There are always choices to be made and I find that most people who are trying to get their images to pop tend to over-emphasize things like sharpening and saturation. As you work an image you tend to lose sensitivity to just how much you've emphasized color - I know I do. I'll come back to some and desaturate, sometimes multiple times, substituting a levels adjustment for what used to be an oversaturation.

For example (pardon my use of your shot, Craig), in the owl shot above I loved how the yellows of the golden hour were emphasized, but I thought maybe they were just a little too saturated. I took his shot into Ps and actually applied a -79 to the yellow levels, -5 to the reds and -15 to the overall saturation. I then added a Levels adjustment layer and tweaked the midpoint of the Red channel to achieve much the same color but without the over saturated feel. The overall look is very similar, but small details in the wings are more visible.

25020475074_cdf6cc6b0b_z.jpg

This isn't intuitive stuff, it comes from countless critiques that include the words, "way too saturated". It takes years to figure some of this stuff out, and I'm still shaking my head at some of my own first edits. Always give yourself time to come back to an image before it's due.

Pretzel

I didn't read everything, sorry... so this might have been stated already.

Journalistic. MINIMAL, if any, period. No addition/removal of objects, clarify and sharpen a bit, let the picture tell the story of everything that was there on it's own.

Artistic. Well... it's art. If you're trying to create a certain feel for yourself and/or the viewer or client, you do what you do. If it comes out and creates the impact you wanted...

Hell, you can even manipulate the settings on the camera and create effects that greatly alter a shot from what the eye sees and what you capture. Is that any different, really?

All are aspects of photography, and there are a multitude of levels within that art that allow for many different things. I guess the "limits" depend on your assignment, or goal, or contract, or.......

Just-Clayton

What pretzel said. I don't change portraits or people much. When it comes to HDR and other shots I take, I play around and turn my shots into an art form. Sometimes I turn a not so good shot into some what good art.