18-200, 55-300, 70-300

bmays

I have a D3100 and consider myself a novice at shooting with my DSLR. I currently have the lens that came with my camera, and I also have a AF-S 50mm f/1.8G. I am looking to get a lens that's going to give me the reach I'm looking for. Mainly going to be shooting my son, landscape (Vacation), and Sports Events. The Lens I looking at is the 18-200mm, 55-200mm, or the 70-300mm. Which one would be best?

fotojack

All of them would be excellent choices. If budget is not a concern, get the 70-300mm VR. I, personally, own the 55-300mm VR, but I'm on a budget.

bmays

Okay cool. Thanks for the advice. I am some what on a budget, but willing to wait a month or two so I can get the right lens.

Rick M

I'm assuming you have the kit 18-55 vr which is an excellent lense for that range. From there the 55-300 or 70-300VR are great choices. I had the 55-200, which at it's price point, is a great buy, but it will leave you wanting those extra 100mm's it doesn't have. Definitely save until you can get one of the 300's.

bmays

Well just went out a plonked down my money for my new lens. I decided to go with the 18-200mm, and I couldn't be happier!

fotojack

Hi Lydia and welcome to the forum! You probably did a search, but replied to a thread that is almost 2 years old. The original poster (OP) is likely no longer responding as he had only 11 posts total since 2011. :)

Yeah, we get a lot of that in here. Someone comes in, asks a question, gets it answered, then never to be heard from again. Annoying........but it comes with the territory.

SBX247

I have the 70-300 VR and I am very happy with it, I could co-sign this product.. There's a few mint condition 70-300VR on Craigslist but if you go that direction make sure you don't have the product shipped. Set up a safe location (public) to meet so you can inspect the lens properly. That's if you have the time and want to save money.