Silly Question From New Person

trash116

Very sorry that this is such a simple question.... but Im only a few days in with my d750 and still learning about photography.

I cant seem to get the camera to autofocus.... im not the most experienced... so i've read and re-read the manual, googled, and tried to watch some youtube videos.

I've made sure the camera body selector is on AF not M, i've made sure the lenses are on AF.

I was worried i pressed some buttons / changed some menus without fully understanding the implications... so i found out the two green dot buttons and did a reset.... hoping that would clear any settings i had changed by mistake.

Still cant autofocus.

Im tearing my hair out.... can anyone help

Many Thanks
Marc

Horoscope Fish

Very sorry that this is such a simple question.... but Im only a few days in with my d750 and still learning about photography.

I cant seem to get the camera to autofocus.... im not the most experienced... so i've read and re-read the manual, googled, and tried to watch some youtube videos.

I've made sure the camera body selector is on AF not M, i've made sure the lenses are on AF.

I was worried i pressed some buttons / changed some menus without fully understanding the implications... so i found out the two green dot buttons and did a reset.... hoping that would clear any settings i had changed by mistake.

Still cant autofocus.

Many Thanks
Marc
One last thing to check...

On the back of the body, attached to the "OK" button is a little rocker switch. That switch can be set to "L" or to a little white dot. It needs to be the latter. The "L" stands for "LOCK" as in, lock auto-focus. It's ridiculously easy to flip that switch without realizing what you've done.

trash116

Thanks for replying to me again Paul. I've checked that,... Didn't realise what that was for. But it was on the dot. Still no autofocus. For the life of me.i just can't work out what I'm doing wrong. You can perhaps tell I'm very inexperienced

mauckcg

What settings are you using, AF-C, AF-A, AF-S. How many points are you using? Are the points centered? The F section of the custom settings menu has to do with button assignments. Check to see if something was moved.

What lens are you trying to use?

Providing nothing in the menus has changed, pressing the shutter button half way will auto focus. In single AF it will focus and that's it, af-c will continuously focus.

Blacktop

Still cant autofocus.

Many Thanks
Marc

Is your camera set to AF-S or AF-C . I ask, because if it is set to AF-C you will not hear the focus confirmation beep when it achieves focus.
Also is it doing it with all of your lenses?

bklynkenny

Are you new to the D750? Or new to digital photography altogether? When I first started, I didn't know to press the shutter button halfway to focus before pressing it all the way to take the photo.

trash116

Thanks to everyone for the replies.... sorry I didnt reply earlier... but I've had to arrange a return on the camera as it turns out it had no serial number (see my other post) - so i didnt get any further into looking into this issue.

Hope the replacement turns out to be a better experience, once again thanks for replies

mikew_RIP

Thanks to everyone for the replies.... sorry I didnt reply earlier... but I've had to arrange a return on the camera as it turns out it had no serial number (see my other post) - so i didnt get any further into looking into this issue.

Hope the replacement turns out to be a better experience, once again thanks for replies

Keep us updated

L or dot does not stop it autofocusing .The L position locks the autofocus point where you want it in AF-s mode.
You can turn the autofocus off in menu or set it for back button.
No serial number that's suspicious....