Serial Number

trash116

Hi Everyone,

Only just had my D750, i can't find my serial number. Looking on the web i've seen it should be on the bottom of the camera. The small plastic recess is there, but there are no details in there (in fact it is just empty/sticker in there with any numbers or info on.

Am i looking in the wrong place.

Could anyone let me know where i should be looking

Thanks
Marc

Horoscope Fish

Hi Everyone,

Only just had my D750, i can't find my serial number. Looking on the web i've seen it should be on the bottom of the camera. The small plastic recess is there, but there are no details in there (in fact it is just empty/sticker in there with any numbers or info on.

Am i looking in the wrong place.

Could anyone let me know where i should be looking

Thanks
Marc
You're looking in the right place.

I'm confused, though; are you saying there is a sticker on the bottom that has no serial number, or are you saying there is no sticker on the bottom at all?

trash116

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the confusion.

I was trying to say there was no sticker on the bottom of the camera.

I've found the place where the sticker should be, but there is no sticker there.

Any ideas what this means?

Horoscope Fish

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the confusion.

I was trying to say there was no sticker on the bottom of the camera.

I've found the place where the sticker should be, but there is no sticker there.

Any ideas what this means?
I've never seen that on a Nikon... I have seen it once before on a different camera brand but only once and I want to say it was a Fuji, but I'm not sure. And even though you can't find the serial on the sticker, it's still embedded in the camera's firmware so I'm not sure what the point of removing the sticker would be. Was this body bought full-retail, or grey-market or... ??

trash116

It was a grey import, from a well established UK retailer. Hdew cameras.

Very strange. do you think I should be concerned, think I'm going to call the tomorrow as it seems strange to me.

Horoscope Fish

It was a grey import, from a well established UK retailer. Hdew cameras.

Very strange. do you think I should be concerned, think I'm going to call the tomorrow as it seems strange to me.
It is very strange. I buy grey all the time and I've not seen this. It's POSSIBLE the camera had the bottom plate replaced for some reason; maybe that part got damaged, or the tripod socket... I don't really know I'm just trying to come up with a logical explanation. I wouldn't freak out, though. This is not "freak out" worthy in my estimation. First, take a day or three to really run the camera through it's paces and make sure it works as it should.

Ironwood

I know this doesn't affect the functioning of your camera, but I do think it devalues it to some extent, especially for resale.
I think I would want it replaced or some kind of compensation.

Welcome to the forum :)

Take a photo and check the EXIF data and make sure that it is really a D750. There have been instances where dealers were taking lesser cameras and changing the labels on them and selling them as a more expensive camera. Also take a few photos of the camera with your sell phone or another camera. Front, Back, Bottom, top and post them here. It might help us find out what is going on.

Blacktop

Take a photo and check the EXIF data and make sure that it is really a D750. There have been instances where dealers were taking lesser cameras and changing the labels on them and selling them as a more expensive camera. Also take a few photos of the camera with your sell phone or another camera. Front, Back, Bottom, top and post them here. It might help us find out what is going on.

Good idea on the photo's.

Ad B

Hi,

I would contact Hdew cameras about this.
It will devaluate your cam, in case of a resale in a few years.
In Ps you can see exactly what type of camera and serial number.
I wouldn't accept this.
I don't know if you can get into trouble when you're going to travel abroad.
Traveling with a camera without a serial number.

Ad B

Danno

It is difficult to prove ownership without a serial number. That would concern me quite a bit. Not that the question would ever come up, but if you ever tried to sell the camera it would be difficult to explain the absence of the serial number if asked.

Horoscope Fish

Hi,

I would contact Hdew cameras about this.
It will devaluate your cam, in case of a resale in a few years.
In Ps you can see exactly what type of camera and serial number.
I wouldn't accept this.
I don't know if you can get into trouble when you're going to travel abroad.
Traveling with a camera without a serial number.

Ad B
You're over-reacting.

BackdoorArts

You're over-reacting.

Agreed. Though I suspect that in certain circumstances if stopped by authorities (i.e. customs) a camera without a S/N could be assumed to be stolen property and either pull you aside so you can provide them with an image to extract the S/N from or hold the camera until they can do so. The question is was there a S/N plate on it when Hdew shipped it or not. While I think the scenarios are overstated, I do believe a call to the retailed is in order to see if it can be rectified. Any hassle is still a hassle, so if you can remedy the situation and avoid it that's your best bet.

carguy

Post a picture of what the camera bottom looks like

Here is one from the interwebz

D3S_1384-bottom-1200.jpg

Last edited:

J-see

About all stolen cameras have a serial number on them. At that level it doesn't matter.

It's the paperwork that counts.

Ad B

You're over-reacting.
Thank you... :encouragement:
I have been checked once with my photographic equipment by customs.
I have a list of my gear with serial numbers in my mailbox on my phone and I-pad.
So, if you want to be the one without that serial number... have fun... :sorrow:

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Thank you... :encouragement:
I have been checked once with my photographic equipment by customs.
I have a list of my gear with serial numbers in my mailbox on my phone and I-pad.
So, if you want to be the one without that serial number... have fun... :sorrow:
I'm sorry but having some little list of serial numbers you typed up on your iPad isn't going to stop the Customs Agent that has decided they want to "liberate" your camera. At best it would help you fill out the claim form they'll give you (and subsequently lose the minute you're out of visual range).