Nikon user switching to Canon. Why?

Blacktop

One of the photographers that I follow on Flickr is switching to a Canon system.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123764805@N03/

A D750 shooter with wonderful talent who also shoots with a 200-500mm lens. As a matter of fact I kept up with his photos while trying to decide on which lens to get, and have been following his stuff since.

This is the reason.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2836552@N25/discuss/72157665350004472/72157665409268631/

Nikon needs to watch their shit because people will leave. While customer service might be getting better (let's see if it lasts) quality control is still utter crap.
It's getting to the point now when everytime I see a dust speck I get nervous. I'm much invested in it now to switch, but that doesn't mean that one day I won't say F**K it! I'm done!

mikew_RIP

The only thing that has had me considering a change is in the past the Canon birding lenses have been better priced than Nikon,but i managed with other makes.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
@Blacktop, Well Pete, you may have given an update report on the sensor spots today and I missed it. Anyway still clean after shooting some today??

Panza

If I could have my pick, I would use Canon glass with Nikon bodies using Sony technology, then pay Pentax pricing.

Followed him for his beautiful bird photos. Unfortunately, things enter a whole new ball-game when you're talking about international service. Here in the US we have it good enough... maybe I'd have more problems if I was an international shooter.

carguy

One of the photographers that I follow on Flickr is switching to a Canon system.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123764805@N03/

A D750 shooter with wonderful talent who also shoots with a 200-500mm lens. As a matter of fact I kept up with his photos while trying to decide on which lens to get, and have been following his stuff since.

This is the reason.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2836552@N25/discuss/72157665350004472/72157665409268631/

Nikon needs to watch their shit because people will leave. While customer service might be getting better (let's see if it lasts) quality control is still utter crap.
It's getting to the point now when everytime I see a dust speck I get nervous. I'm much invested in it now to switch, but that doesn't mean that one day I won't say F**K it! I'm done!

Unless I missed something, the gear experienced an issue and is being serviced by Nikon. What's the problem? Things break... it's how the company handles it that counts.

Have they experienced issues with the service they are receiving? Has the issue repeated?

Second just want to tell you that my Nikon gear presented mal functioning and electromechanic problems both the camera ( D750) in the shutter mechanisms and lens. Lens is in USA being serviced by Nikon, camera is here serviced by Nikon Chile.
This left me without the chance to take pictures.

To me it's like a Ford driver switching to a GM product. Who cares? Both automakers aren't going anywhere for a long time.

BackdoorArts

I went through this exercise. If everything functions nominally there's little reason to move from one to the other without incentives. I had a unique opportunity to swap when my brother took a job with Canon and offered me his entire old pro kit on permanent loan to convince me to move, allowing me to build my own stock over time. I did not do it for two and only two reasons:

1. I have had zero issues with the performance of my Nikon equipment.
2. I have no intention of moving up from the high end consumer bodies (with the exception of the D500).

If I was experiencing issues with my D750 as this photographer is, or if I had intentions in the future to move up to a D810 or D4s/D5, then I would have jumped ship in a heartbeat. When I have to build in lead time on a new body that I desperately want in order to give it time to shake out under real use, that's a problem. It's not so much that only Nikon has problems, but when Nikon does they tend to drag their feet and deny a little too long for my tastes. Canon, OTOH, will generally own up to it rather quickly. No one's perfect, but I don't want to fight with a company when there's a problem as wide spread as the D600 experienced.

I love my Nikon stuff, and I'm here until they screw me over - which I hope is never. But I have no qualms if someone with a bad experience chooses to leave.