REAL in-camera wifi. When will we get it?

D200freak

Nikon's current implementation of wifi in DSLR cameras consists of a means to tether your camera to a smartphone or tablet.

When will they decide that the better way to do it is to incorporate TRUE wifi capability right into the camera instead?

I can envision this as a simple system where Nikon sets up access servers on the internet that the wifi system automatically accesses, using a free account that you create, so as soon as you take a picture, it's directly uploaded to your page on the Nikon server if wifi access to it is available. It would fall back to a link to your smart device if no direct connection was available.

I honestly expected wifi to be in cameras more than a decade ago.

D200freak

I'd imagine it would cache photos and upload them as quickly as bandwidth allows. Even with raw files, they should be in your folders before you get to your computer.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I like the way wifi is implemented in my wife's J5 as well as my Fuji's. It is easy to transfer images captured in RAW o my iPhone or iPad, tweak with Snapseed if needed and email or post. This way the battery isn't constantly being drawn upon.

Here is how the transfer works on the J4 which is the same as the J5 and virtually identical on the Fuji's.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hoping for never. Don't want to add one more thing to go wrong in a highly technical device.

With the recent QC issues that Nikon is having, that might be a good idea. :( As someone that travels a lot and often for extended periods, I appreciate the simple wifi capability.