In a creative slump

Browncoat

I feel burned out.

Assignment photography has sucked the life out of me...I haven't picked up my camera in over a week. I actually got the itch today a little bit, packed up my gear and headed for the door, only to decide at the last minute that I just didn't know what to shoot. It's kind of depressing, really.

With all of the photojournalism jobs I've been doing all summer long, on top of the other photo jobs I've been taking, I guess I feel like I don't have anything left for me. This is one of the dangers of photography for money.

Thoughts? Advice?

fotojack

Hey, don't sweat it, bud. Happens to the best of us. Working for money is great, but you need to take time for yourself, too. Sort out what your priorities are, and go from there. My feeling is you're a little overworked. You're a class act photographer, bud..........you'll get yourself back in the groove in no time. :)

jengajoh

I feel ya. I can offer some suggestions, they might not be very good ones. I have been looking at other photography web sites to get inspiration. Most days I have no idea what to shoot for my 365. I just walk outside my house and neighborhood and look around. Also, I look at google maps to see what is around, like bodies of water or cemeteries. Lately I haven't been very satisfied with my work, but I think I can push through it. Maybe you could focus on a type of photography that you haven't really spent much time on. Landscapes, portraits, architecture, night photography, cars and motion or panning. Maybe take a day trip somewhere. How about just sit somewhere in a busy park and wait... something might come up.
Or maybe you just need time, absence makes the heart grow fonder... right?

ohkphoto

Snow White
Taking a "break" from a creative job like photography is not going to get you back on track. The creative process is similar whether you're talking writing, sculpture, painting, or photography. You can't just sit and wait until the "itch" gets you. Writers 'free write' to work through their block. You can do the same with photography. Inspiration will only find you if you're working at it.

So here's my two cents worth.
1. Photograph something you haven't photographed before. I haven't seen any bug shots, or patterns via macro, panoramas, star trails, etc. from you. Not being your favorite subject is no excuse. Do this just because your're a PROFESSIONAL photographer and need to know the technique. Look at your portfolio of images and see what's lacking.
2. Find something really ugly and use your photographic skills to find and portray it as beautiful.
3. Take the first sentence a human being says to you in the morning . . . take the noun and photograph that object from all angles (this could be really interesting and funny)
4. Only you can control what sucks the life out of you. Maybe consider why you allowed it to happen. If you do jobs for money first, and can't find a way to put fun and passion into it, you are on the road to burnout and your creativity will suffer. learn to say no.
5. Inspired or not, photograph EVERY day . . . this is how you work through a block. It doesn't matter if the photo sucks. Inspiration will come because you've got your creative channels open.
6. And if none of the above suits you, you might think of this, as a very good friend said to me, "if you knew you were going to wake up totally blind tomorrow morning, what would you photograph?"

So, Anthony, my friend, pick up your camera, suck it up, and be the photographer you wanted to be when you started this journey.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Oh, good, Jen. I'm glad you're here because I was going to respond to your post about lack of inspiration. So now I don't have to duplicate. LOL

fotojack

Taking a "break" from a creative job like photography is not going to get you back on track. The creative process is similar whether you're talking writing, sculpture, painting, or photography. You can't just sit and wait until the "itch" gets you. Writers 'free write' to work through their block. You can do the same with photography. Inspiration will only find you if you're working at it.

So here's my two cents worth.
1. Photograph something you haven't photographed before. I haven't seen any bug shots, or patterns via macro, panoramas, star trails, etc. from you. Not being your favorite subject is no excuse. Do this just because your're a PROFESSIONAL photographer and need to know the technique. Look at your portfolio of images and see what's lacking.
2. Find something really ugly and use your photographic skills to find and portray it as beautiful.
3. Take the first sentence a human being says to you in the morning . . . take the noun and photograph that object from all angles (this could be really interesting and funny)
4. Only you can control what sucks the life out of you. Maybe consider why you allowed it to happen. If you do jobs for money first, and can't find a way to put fun and passion into it, you are on the road to burnout and your creativity will suffer. learn to say no.
5. Inspired or not, photograph EVERY day . . . this is how you work through a block. It doesn't matter if the photo sucks. Inspiration will come because you've got your creative channels open.
6. And if none of the above suits you, you might think of this, as a very good friend said to me, "if you knew you were going to wake up totally blind tomorrow morning, what would you photograph?"

So, Anthony, my friend, pick up your camera, suck it up, and be the photographer you wanted to be when you started this journey.

WOW...if that's 2 cents worth, what will a nickle get me? ;)

All good advice, Helene. Anthony? Suck it up, bud! Helene WILL get on your case if ya don't! :)

Browncoat

...And if none of the above suits you, you might think of this, as a very good friend said to me, "if you knew you were going to wake up totally blind tomorrow morning, what would you photograph?"
Well, I don't think Angelina Jolie is going to show up at my doorstep nude in the middle of the night. So this one is out. :)

You're right, though. Thanks for the kick in the ass.

ohkphoto

Snow White
All good advice, Helene. Anthony? Suck it up, bud! Helene WILL get on your case if ya don't!
LOL, Jack. I've been a teacher too long. I guess it's in my blood. I didn't talk high school dropouts back into school by being "namby pamby" or "puss-footing around". Am not sure which phrase works.

Too much talent in Anthony to get written off to a "creative slump."

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a friend who is a pro. He's told me that he just needs to break it up. He'll go for a walk downtown with just one prime lens or a film camera (he just got back from France on vacation and only took film!).

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
I have a friend who is a pro. He'll told me that he just needs to break it up. He'll go for a walk downtown with just one prime lens or a film camera (he just got back from France on vacation and only took film!).

That's a good point, Eduard. A lot of times it's a matter of being tired of dragging a bunch of gear around. I find that when I take one camera and one lens, I actually do better and have more fun. We all always say that it's not the gear that makes the photographer. We should put that to the test frequently.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I have a woodshed and a whip

Here Helene, you know I can leave this one alone feel free to use it as needed.

icon_whip.gif

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, I'll be in Europe soon and would not even think of taking only film. My D7000 will be coming with me.
But I'm still debating about the lenses I'll take. I'll be cycling most of the time so weight IS a big issue. I might end up with the 18-200 again, but might take the 35, 50 and 10-20 and leave them at the hotel while cycling. This way, I could do the nice night shots of buildings and fountains while walking around. Can't wait to get going.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
You can burn out on anything if you do it for long enough. Like everyone else has said, switch it up, keep it interesting. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Any luck coming around Greece?

I kind of guessed your question was for me. No, I'll just be in Hungary for 10 days and Vienna for 3 days.
I will have 2 days in Budapest and the rest along Balaton Lake. I'm just praying for nice weather since cycling under the rain isn't any fun at all.

Last edited by a moderator: