Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D

nmjameswilson

I think I am going to get this lens this week. Do you have thoughts or opinions on it or other lenses that are 85mm? I will be using it for portraits.

Thanks

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I have one and like it. How are you planning to use it? If you are thinking of using it for portraits, it will be a little "long" on the DX format body.

nmjameswilson

I do ... it's the 50mm 1.8 ... I only wanted to add it as I was told it was the better lens for portraits. I did some shooting with the 50mm this weekend and it looked good however.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Don't get me wrong, the bokeh on the 85mm is fantastic. You'll have to judge for yourself whether the distance from your subject is comfortable for your style. Personally, being a bit further seems less "intrusive".

ohkphoto

Snow White
I just finished a shoot yesterday and used my 85mm 1.8 for half of it, with available light --sample below.. You can "keep your distance" and capture some great candid moments. I love this lens.

_SSC0081.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Here's another with the 85 1.8 taken with the D7000. Nice sharp lens but for inside portraits it might be a little tight depending on the size of the studio.

_MCC5378.jpg

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I had the 85mm f1.8D which is sharp wide open and it cost a lot less than the 85mm f1.4D version at the time but I occasional get those dreaded purple fringing with my lens copy. I ended up with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM later on which is much better IMO.

ohkphoto

Snow White
occasional get those dreaded purple fringing with my lens copy.
I'm curious about this, Glenn. Can you provide more info and post a photo? And was the fringing with the 85 1.8 wide open or the 85 1.4?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm curious about this, Glenn. Can you provide more info and post a photo? And was the fringing with the 85 1.8 wide open or the 85 1.4?

Will do Helene. I just need to search through my archives when I get home. I will post a couple that I know of that were shot using the Nikon 85mm f1.8D. I'll check the exif data and post it as well.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Thanks for going to the trouble, Glenn. I think it's important to know the limitations or quirks of different lenses. The last thing I want is for "fringing" to show up in a wedding shot.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hi Helene. I was able to find one but I guess the rest were already deleted. It is a little sensitive to direct light source which made a purple cast to my son's clothes so I probably deleted them.

Cropped image at f1.8
black_kite1.jpg

But in fairness, once you stop it down, you'll get sharp images.

85mm_F1_8_ISO_200.jpg

With my Sigma, it goes away by f1.8 or f2. I haven't experience it yet but that's what other owners have found out.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Another example for your consideration. Buckingham Fountain in Chicago. EXIF: D300, Nikkor 85mm/1.8D, 1/30s, f/1.8, ISO560, -0.7 EV

large.jpg

Last edited: