Autofocus compared between 3200, 5200,7100

olegeiser

Hello,
Using my D3200 when focusing close-up subjects/objects I have gotten in the habit of switching to live view and doing a manual focus to get the shot spot on. Naturally this takes more time and gets a bit tiresome. Yes, I have tried all the focus modes on my 3200 and can most of the time do a better job than the auto focus in close-up situations. My question is do the more expensive models that I have mentioned do a better job where I can completely forget about the live view/ manual focus procedure? Don't get me wrong the auto is not off by much but I can always get a better focus manually in these situations. By close-up I mean 12- 24- 36 in where type and/or hi definition is needed. Many Thanks!

The D7000 and up Nikons have the ability to Fine Tune the Auto Focus by lens. Also they have a better Auto focus system. Now move up to the D750 and it goes up a little more and is faster

Also you should always be in single point focus. Also you might want to try Back Button Focus. It is a lot better since you don't have to use the shutter button to focus.

Back Button Focus is a great tool for so many photographers and is something I think everyone should try at least once. Below are a few sites that talk about the how and why of Back Button Focus.

Benefits of Using the AF-ON Button for Autofocus by Nikon USA

BACK BUTTON FOCUSING – EASIER THAN YOU THINK! by Improve Photography

Here is a good YouTube video that goes over the why and how of Back Button Focusing.

You can do a search of the forum on "Back Button Focus" or BBF and see the many threads that have been created on this subject.

Try it, You will like it.

mikew_RIP

As said it could be the lack of AF fine tune but are you focusing with AF and then re framing or moving the focus point in the camera to get the focus on the point you want.

olegeiser

Also you should always be in single point focus. Also you might want to try Back Button Focus. It is a lot better since you don't have to use the shutter button to focus.

Back Button Focus is a great tool for so many photographers and is something I think everyone should try at least once. Below are a few sites that talk about the how and why of Back Button Focus.

Benefits of Using the AF-ON Button for Autofocus by Nikon USA

BACK BUTTON FOCUSING – EASIER THAN YOU THINK! by Improve Photography

Here is a good YouTube video that goes over the why and how of Back Button Focusing.

You can do a search of the forum on "Back Button Focus" or BBF and see the many threads that have been created on this subject.

Try it, You will like it.

Many thanks, yes I am using the back button autofocus. I suspect having the AF fine tune on the more expensive models will solve my AF problem but will create a financial one!

Many thanks, yes I am using the back button autofocus. I suspect having the AF fine tune on the more expensive models will solve my AF problem but will create a financial one!

You just have to get your priorities right. You don't really need to eat 3 meals a day when 1 will do. And you don't need new clothes every year.

I retired so I would have more time to shoot so see how it works?