A New D750 Advisory

singlerosa_RIP

Mine has to go too. I have to sandwich its trip to Nikon between 2 important shoots I have coming up in March and April. Last time I sent a body back for recall (my D600 for shutter replacement) it was back in less than 30 days. Having additional bodies helps.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
My current shutter count. Granted it may not fail for a long time. My one-year warranty is up mid-May, but I may wait well beyond that time.

shutter count.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
You have had it almost a year and only shot 1001 shots? I think I did that the first month or less

Surprisingly, yes. I shot a lot with the D7100 for the student dramas (several productions) plus I am using the D610 for church shots. Because I am a caregiver, my time for photography is limited. I use the D750 when I take shots that are just for my own enjoyment, and obviously I don't get out much. Certainly thought I took more than that with it though.

BackdoorArts

Funny thing is that this is one of those cases where being a very early adopter is a good thing. I got in early and wasn't in the first or second batch of serial numbers. I registered mine on October 19, 2014, so it's a bit of an anomaly I would think. I may contact Nikon anyway, if only to know that I could send mine in somewhere along the line as the shutter ages (I believe I'm over 15K actuations now). Odd thing is that my D750 serial number is numerically before the D600 and D610 I also have registered with them.

And Bill, this is not about shutters failing. I emphasize this more for others than for you. Yes, you had an unfortunate incident with yours failing, but this recall has to do with the shutter mechanism leading to image shading when shooting directly into the sun, particularly when shooting video. The internet is full of misinformation, let's not create more.

Last edited:

Panza

I can't afford to send it in for servicing because it's my main body and portrait/wedding season is here for me already. I've never seen the issue on my camera so I doubt it will affect me after all this time.
After things die down, yes ... it's just nice to have the camera cleaned and extra things looked at.

Blacktop

Funny thing is that this is one of those cases where being a very early adopter is a good thing. I got in early and wasn't in the first or second batch of serial numbers. I registered mine on October 19, 2014, so it's a bit of an anomaly I would think. I may contact Nikon anyway, if only to know that I could send mine in somewhere along the line as the shutter ages (I believe I'm over 15K actuations now).

And Bill, this is not about shutters failing. I emphasize this more for others than for you. Yes, you had an unfortunate incident with yours failing, but this recall has to do with the shutter mechanism leading to image shading when shooting directly into the sun, particularly when shooting video. The internet is full of misinformation, let's not create more.

I'm not Bill. It's Peter, but you can call me Pete. All my friends do.;)

Actually I'm not the only one with the unfortunate incident. I grant you it's not an epidemic , but it's not misinformation either.

BackdoorArts

I can't afford to send it in for servicing because it's my main body and portrait/wedding season is here for me already. I've never seen the issue on my camera so I doubt it will affect me after all this time.
After things die down, yes ... it's just nice to have the camera cleaned and extra things looked at.

Depending on what part of New England you're in you might be able to make a day trip to Melville, NY and get them to replace it and return it same day. In my brother's new gig with Canon he's in Melville about once a month. I'd have him bring it in since they're right across the street but I have a feeling he'd come home with a 6D instead.

BackdoorArts

I'm not Bill. It's Peter, but you can call me Pete. All my friends do.;)

Actually I'm not the only one with the unfortunate incident. I grant you it's not an epidemic , but it's not misinformation either.

OK, Peter (my apologies), but regardless of how many people, epidemic or otherwise, the recall is not for the issue you or anyone like you experienced.

Blacktop

OK, Peter (my apologies), but regardless of how many people, epidemic or otherwise, the recall is not for the issue you or anyone like you experienced.
I understand that.
I can't help to wonder however if this shading problem could lead to the problem that I had. It's also curious that Nikon is calling the new affected cameras shading problems.
Perhaps they have gotten a batch of cameras in for the same problem I had and are now getting nervous about it.
So they are recalling these units just to be safe even though the shading problem does not exist on these units?

BackdoorArts

The shading issue has to do with internal reflections causing ghosting once the shutter was activated, not with a failing shutter. If a shutter is replaced as a part of this service it likely has to do with some concern with the reflectivity of the inside of the shutter mechanism. Again, it has nothing to do with the functionality of the shutter mechanism. What you experience was a failure of that mechanism.

https://photographylife.com/nikon-d750-flare-shading-issue

I just spent 10 minutes on the phone with a Nikon Service Rep and while I could not seem to get an answer as to why my very early D750 was unaffected while many since have been (whoo-hoo for early adopters!!), I did learn that Nikon serial numbers are not unique across models, only within. So my serial number can exist on any other Nikon camera that's not a D750, which explains why that serial number is before the serial numbers on my D600 & D610 registered.

TieuNgao

I understand that.
I can't help to wonder however if this shading problem could lead to the problem that I had. It's also curious that Nikon is calling the new affected cameras shading problems.
Perhaps they have gotten a batch of cameras in for the same problem I had and are now getting nervous about it.
So they are recalling these units just to be safe even though the shading problem does not exist on these units?

I think you're right to suspect that your shutter failure may have something to do with this recall. The 1st recall (Jan.2015) is about flare/internal reflections caused by the AF module. The second recall (Jul.2015) is about shading caused by the shutter mechanism. The 3rd recall has the same issue as the 2nd one but covers a different manufacturing period.
My D750 is affected by the first 2 recalls. I did not send for the 1st recall but I did for the 2nd one (it's nice to have a new shutter and have the sensor cleaned).