Thinking about the 750...

JMHPhotography

For my next purchase I am thinking about the 750. Mostly for the low light capability. I am shooting a lot of macro these days. Thoughts? Do you shoot macro with your 750 if so what do you think?

Thanks in advance
Jeannette

J-see

You have about a stop of light advantage (signal quality not actual light) when shooting the D750. That's a lot when you shoot handheld macro or moving subjects. When you shoot tripod it doesn't matter much since you simply increase the shutter.

I personally prefer the D810 for macro, second choice being my D7200 (taking advantage of the crop/pixel density). The D750 is my last choice.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I haven't done any macro with my D750, but its low light capabilities are better than my D610. I still use my D610 for some things, but when it comes to low light, my D750 handles it the best of the cameras I use.

JMHPhotography

You have about a stop of light advantage (signal quality not actual light) when shooting the D750. That's a lot when you shoot handheld macro or moving subjects. When you shoot tripod it doesn't matter much since you simply increase the shutter.

I personally prefer the D810 for macro, second choice being my D7200 (taking advantage of the crop/pixel density). The D750 is my last choice.

Can you tell me why the 810 over the 750 for macro.. I am thinking price leap to justify the purchase lol

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Can you tell me why the 810 over the 750 for macro.. I am thinking price leap to justify the purchase lol

I can't answer as to why J-see said that, but one advantage is being able to crop while retaining enough pixels. A disadvantage of the D8xx series is your technique needs to be spot on when it comes to hand holding those cameras no matter what type of subjects you shoot. Any tiny or slight movement will show up as blur more than it will be noticeable with a D750 simply because of the number of pixels on the D8xx. You can also invest in a set of macro extension tubes for the D750 which will allow you to enlarge the subject without cropping.

BackdoorArts

I suspect the affinity for the D810 has to do with pixel density. For macro photography the more pixels per inch the better. I use my D750 for macro about equally with the D7100 - depends on how close I want to get and whether or not I need to boost ISO.

J-see

As Jake said; I prefer the D810 because it is in between the D750 and D7200 in terms of pixel density and has about the low light performance of the D750. And it has no AA filter.

For all macro where I can frame the subject, I benefit of the increased resolution and for those I have to crop, I don't suffer as much loss as with the D750.

To add; if you don't print and mainly use it to post the shots online, you'll hardly see a difference between both.

Last edited:

Nikonus

I think the tilt screen on the D750 is a big advantage for macro photography and other low perspective situations! I just love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-see

I think the tilt screen on the D750 is a big advantage for macro photography and other low perspective situations! I just love mine

I'd pay good money to have that on my D810 too. It's fantastic for night and landscape.

With my bad back and knees I can't get down low enough to get the shots I want anymore. The tilt screen on the D750 is fantastic and I can get some of those shots again. It also helps with those high angle shots too.