What telephoto should I get for my D3300??

Anton5555

Hi! I've finally switched from the P510 to a DSLR :):) (D3300 with the 18-55mm).. I've bought a 35mm f/1.8G AF-S lens for recomendation of a friend for everyday pics, i'm waiting for it, in the meantime, I'm looking for a telephoto since i'm used to a long lens and taking nature pics..
The problem is that I'm on a budget since the prices in my country are at the roof and I've to get one from Amazon (with some extra money for the guy that brings it to me, I can't buy it myself because of my country's customs situation :().
So, I'm looking at this models and I want to know your opinion:
- Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (u$s 310)
- Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR (u$s 150)
- Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SLD DG Macro Lens (u$s150)
- Tamron Auto Focus 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom (u$s 150)
- Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro (u$s 200)
- Any other you like

Thanks in advance!!! I'm glad of being part of this community
;)

Daz

I have the 70-300 Tamron Tele-Macro 4-5.6

Great little lens for the price !! I always have it in the bag, could do with using it more !!

RocketCowboy

I take it you're looking for something with a natural reach to 300mm?

You can probably pick up the Nikon 55-300mm with VR within your budget. Outside of that, I would probably lean towards the Tamron SP 70-300 just because I've been very happy with the other Tamron glass I've gotten my hands on.

carguy

I bought the 55-200mm for my D40 back in the day, before I found this forum and really read up on gear. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a 70-300 or maybe a 55-300 zoom. Likely used due to my gear budget then.

D200freak

At Nikon's website, a refurbished 55-300 is only 220 bucks. There are those who believe that Nikon's refurbished lenses are a great deal not just due to the price reduction, but due to the fact that all refurbished lenses get a lot of testing and attention to detail, maybe more than new ones.

I like the 55-300 anyway, so for 220 bucks a factory refurbished one is absolutely a no brainer. I highly recommend it.

Anton5555

Thanks everybody for your answers!! I think I'll try to get a 55-300mm VR, if the NIKON US page let me buy without an american credit card, I'll buy a Refurbished one, if I can't do that I'll get one from Amazon for 250 bucks (sometimes this doesn't have warranty)..

Thanks again for the help!! I hope to show some pics anytime soon..

carguy

Thanks everybody for your answers!! I think I'll try to get a 55-300mm VR, if the NIKON US page let me buy without an american credit card, I'll buy a Refurbished one, if I can't do that I'll get one from Amazon for 250 bucks (sometimes this doesn't have warranty)..

Thanks again for the help!! I hope to show some pics anytime soon..
Be sure to look at the refurbs on Nikonusa.com :: Refurbished AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR from Nikon

Also, Adorama, Roberts Camera, Henry's, etc are great resources for used/refurbished Nikon glass.

Anton5555

That's what I'm looking for, I have to wait to my contact (the guy that helps me to bring stuff from abroad) to tell me where I could buy it.. I will definitably Buy the 55-300 that you mention, I simply don't know how yet haha..
Thanks again, I love this forum, there is always someone to help :)

carguy

I saw this on a Facebook group tonight

https://www.facebook.com/groups/359599760821547/

681b945d64419d1372e49daefdd200cb.jpg

Anton5555

Do you recomend the 70-300mm above the 55-300mm? Is there a significant difference??
The 70-300mm in the Nikon USA Store (Refurbished) is only 300 bucks, that's how far I can get on my budget depending also in how much money I would spend with the guy that brings it to me :(

salukfan111

Another vote for the Nikon 70-300mm, excellent lens....
nothing wrong with 70-300. The 24-85 and 70-300 would be hard to beat if you are on a budget and you really wouldn't need anything else. Since you don't own a screw drive camera these would be the logical choices for your first two lens.

Last edited:

Anton5555

nothing wrong with 70-300. The 24-85 and 70-300 would be hard to beat if you are on a budget and you really wouldn't need anything else. Since you don't own a screw drive camera these would be the logical choices for your first two lens.

Thanks! I also purchased the 35mm f/1.8G, so I think I will be just fine, considering I'm a newbee and I have to learn everything about taking photos.. :)

RocketCowboy

Do you recomend the 70-300mm above the 55-300mm? Is there a significant difference??
The 70-300mm in the Nikon USA Store (Refurbished) is only 300 bucks, that's how far I can get on my budget depending also in how much money I would spend with the guy that brings it to me :(

Since the 70-300mm is an FX lens, it will work on both full frame and DX bodies. Typically, the thinking is FX lenses are good on DX bodies because the DX body only using the image from the lens's sweet spot.

To me, the 70-300mm seems to be better built than the 55-300mm, but that could just be my perception.

hrstrat57

I have both the 55-200vr and the 70-300vr.

The NIkkor 70-300 VR is a huge step up and is an FX lens too.

the 55-200 is surprisingly good tho and it fits nicely in your pocket!! I often find myself walking around with my two little kit lenses – lightweight super portable and if I drop them or ding them well I don't care so much.

I picked my 55-200 VR up mint on craigslist for $80.