D7200 or prosumer camcorder?

Chris@sabor

I'm interested in wildlife video...I'm debating upgrading my d7000 to d7200 for stills and video or keeping the d7000 and getting a dedicated camcorder like Canon HF g30/40.
Anybody out there have experience they'd like to share?

WayneF

I'd go with the camcorder. It's made for the job.

I have a $3000 D800 and a $300 Canon R300 camcorder. The DSLR does have a ISO noise advantage, not terribly important for video, but in use, the camcorder runs circles around the DSLR. Plus long lenses are sort of pricey for the DSLR.

WayneF

It probably should be mentioned that the DX camera has a sensor size about the same size as 35mm movie film, therefore with less depth of field than the tiny camcorders, so the Hollywood effects of limited DOF can be achieved on the DSLR. Where it's hard not to always have a lot of DOF on the camcorders. Myself, I've never been offended when things came out sharper.

mikew_RIP

I had a spell of making short wildlife films,think it was about 3 years i did it,at the time it was HI8 but i had a camcorder with interchangeable lenses,the beauty of any camcorder is there reach,the sensor at the time converted the FOV of a FX lens to 5.7 times longer like the bridge cameras do today.

cbay

I'm interested in wildlife video...I'm debating upgrading my d7000 to d7200 for stills and video or keeping the d7000 and getting a dedicated camcorder like Canon HF g30/40.
Anybody out there have experience they'd like to share?
Since you already have the 7000 you know what you're up against as far as shooting video. Not much has changed really except 60fps / 1.3 crop. Then you can slow it down in post which is a nice option.
I love the results with both bodies, don't mind manual focus and don't do enough to get a camcorder. My Tamron 150-600 / 7000 or 7200 takes amazing video. It will definitely reach out there. Especially in crop mode on the 7200. A hood/loupe and good mic make it pretty nice. Wouldn't want to try getting focus for wildlife with a long lens without a hood loupe.