USB transfer cable

WelliesNBrellas

The USB transfer cable that came with my D3300 is starting to pull apart. It's only six weeks old. :0( I've been very gentle, but do use it at least once daily to transfer pictures to the computer.

Can it be replaced with any cable having the correct USB plugs work or must it have that special knobby section (the technical term, I'm sure) near the mini-USB plug?

Thanks!
Rose-Marie (WelliesNBrellas)

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,i would suggest you move on to a card reader us you stand the same chance of damaging the socket in the camera with continual use.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I agree with what has been said, pull the SD card and put it in a card reader to transfer your photos, but..... if that is not an option and you still want to rely on the USB cable get one with the "Choke" (Ferrite chokes) on the end. A cable without the choke will work, but there is a slight danger of EMI/RFI emissions and damage to equipment.

aroy

Welcome to the forum.

I disagree a bit. A card reader is fine, but the USB cable should not come apart. I bought my D3300 in March 11th, 2014. Every day, at least twice a day I connect the USB cable to transfer the images. It is still going strong.

Electrically most of the USB cables are same. The difference is in the connector size. Some have a surge suppressor bead some dont. The Nikon one does. So search the net for a similar cable, else get the Nikon one. You can also give it a try getting a warranty replacement. If you get it fine, else buy a new one.

Here are some links
Amazon.com : dCables Nikon D3300 USB Cable - USB Computer Cord for D3300 : Camera & Photo
UC-E6 USB Cable from Nikon
Nikon UC-E6 USB Cable (4.5') 25604 B&H Photo Video
Amazon one is the least expensive one.

Last edited:

Sandpatch

I agree with what has been said, pull the SD card and put it in a card reader to transfer your photos, but..... if that is not an option and you still want to rely on the USB cable get one with the "Choke" (Ferrite chokes) on the end. A cable without the choke will work, but there is a slight danger of EMI/RFI emissions and damage to equipment.

Thanks Walt -- I've always wondered what that thing was on the cable. I tend to use the cable for my transfers. I've had no trouble with it in 4+ Years and never pull on the cable itself, but always on the plug. Maybe I ought to use the card more.

WelliesNBrellas

Thanks so much to everyone for your input. Much appreciated! Thank you also for the warm welcomes. It's really nice to have so much experience and wisdom to learn from.

I'm glad to know it's okay to take the card out of the camera frequently. I was worried that daily use might be hard on the card door and/or yellow latch. Sounds like this is not an issue, though. Maybe it would be good to alternate between the cable and removing the card so one system isn't getting overused? Or am I overthinking things?

I've heard a lot of mention of card readers, but am not sure how they surpass the card slot on my computer. Is it important to switch over to a card reader? Or is it fine to stick with the built-in card slot? In light of all the enticing accessories vying for my attention (and dollars, ouch), where on the priority list would a card reader fall?

Thanks again!
Rose-Marie

nikonpup

if you have a built in card slot use it, you should find downloads much faster. Be careful when you take the card out of the camera, close the door. welcome to the nites.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
A card reader or the card slot on the computer will work. I think most are referring to the card reader for the scenario that you do not have the slot on the computer. I don't think I have ever used the USB cord on either of my cameras. I am trying to remember if I have ever even opened the cover to see where the cable would plug into the camera. Ha!