Rode Video Mic Go and D5200 not working?

L.M.Carter

Hello everyone!

So, recently I have been making a lot of videos with my D5200. On auto focus the noise of the motor is very loud. So straight away I researched some shotgun mics. Ended up buying the Rode Video Mic Go for it's 'easy set up'. Unfortunately I can not seem to get this working with my camera (Will not record sound).

So here is what I have tried so far:

- plug & go (What it's advertised for)
- setting microphone settings to 'off'
- setting microphone settings to different levels of sensitivity

Non of these has worked. When the mic is plugged in & I record, all you can hear is a muffled hissing.

I have e-mailed Rode who said to e-mail Nikon(Also that the camera needs to draw a small voltage referred to as plug in power). Nikon said buy their Nikon mic(no help)

I have seen youtube videos of the same camera and mic working so I know they're compatible!

So before I send it back I'm here asking for the professionals help, you guys!

Am I missing anything obvious here?

(Note: My camera's firmware is up to date. I do not have another camera to test the mic)

Thank-you very much in advance!!

Fred Kingston

So which one are you going to send back? The camera, or the Mic ??? ;)

Just so you know... you don't need a Nikon camera to test whether that Mic is working or not... It has a 3.5mm output jack... that'll plug into just about any recording device made today, including cell phones, tablets etc... At least enough to determine whether the MIC is the problem or the camera is the problem...

Last edited:

Stres

Do you ever get this issue figured out? I just got this microphone and I am having the exact same issue. No batteries as it is a plug and play via the mic port power

Camera: D5200
Mic: Rode video mic GO

Stres

I feel like a dummy, just had to push the cord into the back of the mic further (in my defense it was a real snug fit) lol