Whats a good lens to build off of?

chdwick28

One thing I remember when I got married was my photographer never changed lenses the entire time. He is an amazing photographer with a great eye which I know is where most of his great photos come from, but now that I am considering moving this hobby of mine a little further I am wondering what a good lens would be to build off of. Obviously now that I look back on it he had a lens that probably covered a lot of ranges he likes to use (maybe like an 18-200mm) and I am wondering what would be a good lens for me. I like portraits, landscape, etc. and was wondering if anyone has a lens they think has been a durable versatile lens that gives crisp photos.

Rick M

The answer really lies within your particular shooting style and budget. The photographer you are referring to may have had a lens costing $1-2K. Many would recommend Pro lenses in that price range like the 2.8 Nikon 17-55. It is also noteworthy that pro lenses tend to be larger and heavier, but are the sharpest and perform well in low light.

For a more modest prices, you might consider 3rd party pro lenses, or Nikon lenses such as the 18-105 ($360), 16-85 ($600) or as you mentioned the 18-200 ($800). I have the 16-85 and it is fantastic, probably the sharpest non-pro nikon general purpose zoom. Generally the larger the zoom range, the more image quality issues a lens may have, which is why I stayed away from the 18-200.

Knowing your Budget and shooting needs would assist us in giving you the best advice.

chdwick28

I am becoming more and more serious about pursuing photography as more than a hobby, and I would say around $1000 would be where I am comfortable spending. If a lens called for me to go a little over that it would have to be something that really was worth it. Most the shots I have up in my profile are with the 55-200 but Im starting to lean more towards the Nikon 18-105 VR

jcottone45

I think CYNRAM gave some pretty good advise, the only lens I would add would be the 35mm F1.8 AF lens because its economical & versatile though not a zoom lens.
I have been looking at a nikkor 180mm F2.8D IF ED telephoto lens for roughly 1000, but thats too heavy a price tag & I am sure there are cheaper lenses that will do the same job, but I am trying to get a lens that will be as sharp as possible in low light & this one by nikon seems to fit the bill., though expensive.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You can easily find a gently used Nikkor 17-55/2.8 for under $1000. Usually from someone moving up to FX. I did that soon after buying my D300 and it is by far my most used lens. You won't regret it.

Browncoat

When it comes to tools of the trade, a photographer's greatest asset are his/her lenses. You have to think of them as tools, because certain lenses are designed to perform certain jobs. In other words, you need a variety of lenses because no single one is a "catch all". You wouldn't use a screwdriver to pound in a nail. I mean, you could do it, but A) there's a better tool for the job and B) anyone who knows much of anything at all is going to notice.

You like portraits and landscapes. Those are really two very different subjects that require very different lenses. If you are really serious about looking into pro level lenses, I would say...pick one of the above. And Eduard is right. A used 17-55mm is right in range of your budget, and would be an awesome lens to build around.

chdwick28

Yes I can see your point Anthony they are very different, I suppose little by little I am trying to accumulate good durable lenses as I go. I just purchased the Nikon 50mm 1.8G so I dont think the 35mm 1.8 would be enough of a different lens for me to want to purchase currently. It seems from reading up the 17-55mm is a very solid lens which many people seem to support. I may rent one for a day or so, which a nice camera shop around here does, and see how I like it. I am leaning more to the portrait side of photography would you say the 17-55mm is a solid choice for this? I would rather something like the 17-55 2.8 than my 50mm1.8, but I basically had it given to me so no complaints can always have more glass :)

jcottone45

Anthony is right, if your a pro or if seriously considering turning pro, then the glass you posses is your livelihood.
Guys like me can't justify spending serious dollars on lenses I would use only casually or on occasion.

Browncoat

If you have access to a shop that rents lenses, that will be money well spent. Guaranteed!

The 17-55mm is a wide angle lens that is mostly used for landscapes. The close range distortion makes for some interesting shots in other genres, but it's not something most would use for traditional portraiture or lifestyle photography. The optimal focal range for portraiture is 50-80mm, and using a wide angle lens for portraits will distort facial features unless you can get your distance from subject exactly right.

You're at a crossroads. I see what you're wanting to do, and most of us have been there too. Crossing the threshold from hobbyist to enthusiast is an expensive one. We all want an arsenal full of top end gear, but few can afford it. You want to get the most bang for your buck, and that's understandable. There are two schools of thought on this:

1) You have a $1000 budget, so spread it out. Diversify. Get decent lenses, but get as many as you can afford. Buy used and shop for those rare bargain basement deals.

2) Take that same $1000 and invest it in the biggest, baddest single lens you can afford that meets your needs. If you're wanting to focus on portraits, there is some nice kit to be had out there in this price range. But also realize that portraiture is just as much about lighting as it is anything else, so there's another investment down the road to get the most out of this strategy.

chdwick28

Very valid points, I will think about it and test some lenses out as I agree being able to rent lenses and test drive them basically is very nice to have (isnt very expensive either can rent certain lenses for an entire weekend for like $40-50, others cost much much more :) Thank you for your input it is much appreciated!