New Firmware update DO NOT INSTALL if you use Sigma lenses

BackdoorArts

If you own Sigma glass I would recommend always checking with them regarding compatibility issues with any Nikon bodies, new or otherwise, before buying or upgrading firmware. Sigma will update the lens firmware on any Sigma lenses for free to the original owner, so if you have a lens that you want to use with a new body, check with them and arrange to send it in for updating. The process takes about a week and only costs you the shipping to them.

With that said, be smart when updating camera firmware. Just because new firmware is available it doesn't mean you need to update. Check and see if the update fixes something that's impacting you. Chances are if you weren't waiting for it, you don't need it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
With that said, be smart when updating camera firmware. Just because new firmware is available it doesn't mean you need to update. Check and see if the update fixes something that's impacting you. Chances are if you weren't waiting for it, you don't need it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I haven't had a problem...............YET with firmware updates, but I will admit I am a sucker to the idea of "If it's an update, I need it," (even if the new features or corrections probably won't ever effect me). Yes, I know, I am a SUCKER. Ha!!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you own Sigma glass I would recommend always checking with them regarding compatibility issues with any Nikon bodies, new or otherwise, before buying or upgrading firmware. Sigma will update the lens firmware on any Sigma lenses for free to the original owner, so if you have a lens that you want to use with a new body, check with them and arrange to send it in for updating. The process takes about a week and only costs you the shipping to them.

I've never updated firmware for any DSLR, but people need to know if they send their camera in for repair, Nikon will do it. Nikon did that with my D600.

ryan20fun

won't using the USB Dock be easier and cheeper ? (If you have one)

subash jeram

Hi guys, sorry if I'm posting on the wrong place, don't know how to make a new post, I'd like some advice please. I have just bought a used D700 only 15000 actuations, thing is it only came with a 2gig cf card. I want to buy a larger one. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade the software first or not. Thank you in advance.

ryan20fun

don't know how to make a new post
You would go to a forum (section) and there is a "Post new thread" button in yellow on the top right.

I have just bought a used D700 only 15000 actuations, thing is it only came with a 2gig cf card. I want to buy a larger one. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade the software first or not. Thank you in advance.
I believe some cameras have issues with larger sized memory devices, If it is using a FAT32 FS (file system) you should be fine with a 4GiB card.
You could also ask a friend if they have such a card to test.

HTH

mauckcg

This is the one thing that is keeping my 3rd party purchases within the Sigma Global vision. That USB dock is a handy dandy little thing to have to keep up with what Nikon is doing with their firmware updates.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
won't using the USB Dock be easier and cheeper ? (If you have one)

Yes, but only if the lenses are compatible with the dock. Some of Sigma's new lenses for sale were manufactured prior to them making the dock so they can't connect to it (for example, my Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 is one that can't be updated via the dock). For this lens as well as many others (even older used lenses), they need to be shipped back to Sigma to receive the updates.

gkd

Hi
Just joined the forum.
My new D5500 came with Firmware v1.01 already installed so this may be a problem for some new users - would be worth checking with your retailer before buying if you have Sigma lenses
For info the firmware works fine with new Tamron 18-270

Bob Blaylock

I've never updated firmware for any DSLR, but people need to know if they send their camera in for repair, Nikon will do it. Nikon did that with my D600.

I've kept the firmware up-to-date on my D3200, but I've never updated the firmware on my F2.

MaxBlake

For what it's worth, I've never updated the firmware on any camera I've ever owned, including four current Nikons. I guess that I might be missing something, but then ... something tells me that I haven't actually missed a thing. A headache, maybe, but beyond that ...